1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chromes on a Squier VM Jazz V

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by VeganThump, Mar 6, 2013.

1. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    I have a spare set laying around that used to be on my P5 and I think I wanna throw them on my Squier, but it just seems antithetical to me to put flats on a jazz bass. My Squier always sounds a little too aggressive for my liking, as i really prefer a warmer kind of tone for the band im in now, but I'm thinking I might like the idea of a mellowed out version of that aggression via the chromes. Can anyone speak on this combo of Squier VM Jazz with chromes?

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I use flats on my Jazz basses, some of them anyway. I love the way they feel and if I turn the tone down enough to knock off some of the finger noise with rounds the sound difference between them is reduced anyway. There is nothing incongruous about flats on a Jazz bass. If you like the sound or if you like having a different sound available from one of your Jazz basses then put flats on it. I have flats on two basses, Pressure Wounds on one as an experiment in tone (and I am unsure if I like them or not), and rounds on the fourth simply because I wanted try some heavier strings than I can get in flats. I don't have a Squier VM Jazz but I don't think that really makes a difference. Two of my basses are single coil Jazz basses and one of them has flats.

Ken

3. I use Chromes on my Jazz for this very reason. I like the "aggressive" (ie ability to cut through) nature of the Jazz tone, but without the excessive zing of the rounds, or too much of the "thump" of more traditional flats.

4. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    So true! The entire reggae canon would not exist without Jazz+flats. J-basses sound great with flats. You say you have them lying around? Try them! It costs you nothing!

5. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    That's pretty much where I'm at. I get plenary of thump from my P5 with Sadowsky Flats on it, but some songs I need a little more bite, so I'm gonna throw on the chromes and see how it goes, thanks!

6. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    Wow I don't know why I didn't do this months ago! It sounds exactly how I'd hoped, I'm particularly happy with how tight and focused the B string is, my God I'm a happy little boy!!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist;