1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chromes on a StringRay!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by citizenchris099, Nov 25, 2018.

1. I put GHS P Flats on my 2018 StingRay special...and did not like them. It could be that they don't pair well w/that particular bass or...maybe I just don't like them. I didn't like the tension / feel and the sound had no character. Maybe I just don't like "normal" flats(?) I have Brite Flats on my SB-2 and I love those despite the tension.
    Was playing my Jazz strung w/Chromes and decided I would love to hear what they sound like on my SRS. Low and behold they sound amazing. I could be that I'm just a Chromes fanboy but I love these strings (the Regular Low Tension set) on my SRS.

fretlessguy likes this.
  2. Congrats on finding your perfect match for your Stingray. Enjoy!

3. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I haven’t tried them on my Stingray Special but I’m really digging TI Jazz Flats on mine.

citizenchris099 likes this.
  4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cliff Williams.

6. from wiki
    Williams' trademark instrument is the StingRay and other basses by Music Man, strung with D'Addario (.045, .065, .085, .105) flatwounds in the studio and roundwound XLs in concert.

interesting. i go for the lighter gauge 45-100 Chromes

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cliff said in the Bass Player interview he did for the last tour that he hasn't used roundwounds, or as he calls them, "wires," onstage in years. Said they were too clanky.

citizenchris099 likes this.
  8. I tried Chromes on my EBMM Sterling and didn't like them at all. I preferred the sound (but not tension) of TI flats. I love Chromes on almost every other bass I have owned.

I made up my own set of Chromes from singles which were 45, 60, 80, 110. These were the most balanced set and allowed me to still be able to drop my E down to D or B

9. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Bernard Edwards used flats on his Stingray. Love the smallest gauge of Chromes (0.040 0 0.095) on my Sub Ray 4.

10. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh yeah...
    20181214_165025.

11. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    I must be getting used to the TI’s on my stingray. I played a friends four string Jazz with chromes on it the other night and the high tension damn near killed my hand. Cramped it right up.