Chromes on my Peavey Axcelerator V?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by akrein62, Jan 31, 2006.

1. akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    I'm thinking about putting a set of D'Addario Chromes Flat Wound, .050, .070, .085, .105, on my Axcelerator V. Unfortunately, they only come in 4 string sets, so I would have to get a single low B .132, for which JustStrings wants a mere $18.:spit:

I'm pretty sure that the long scale size will be ok for my 35 inch scale, based on D'Addario's web site. It's not body-through strung.

Any thoughts on whether I might run into problems with this gage? Or should I just go with the .045, .065, .080, .100, .132 set for a few less bucks? Is there a significant difference between these 2 gages? I'm a bass noob, this is a new bass for me (obviously bought used) and I want to put on new strings. I like the flatwound sound and the idea of less finger noise.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice would be appreciated.

2. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX

I just checked the D'Addario site, and they clearly show that the Chromes are available in two five string sets - the ECB81-5 and the ECB81-5SL, both of which are 45 ==> 132 sets, with the SL being "super long" scale . . . .

Musicians Friend has the set for $29.99 at

? ? ? ? ? ?

- Tim
  3. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    DA XLs are not very long. The superlongs are needed for a 35" scale as I recall. Not sure about Chromes.

4. akrein62

Nov 24, 2005
    Plainfield, IL
    I guess I wasn't clear on what I was thinking about doing. I'm considering the higher gauge 4 string set:

plus a single low B string:

rather than the lower gauge 5 string set:

Would going with the higher gauge cause problems or be bad for my bass? Is that much difference between the 2 gauges? As I mentioned in my original post, I'm a bass noob, so please be patient :rollno: