1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chromes on my Spector

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by A.Denis, Mar 21, 2009.

1. A.Denis

A.Denis

May 28, 2006
    Montréal
    Anybody experienced problems installing the A string on a Spector rebop 4 bridge?

the string would just not fit the bridge, the blue stuff was too big and it prevented the insertion of the string.

I had to remove some of the blue stuff to make it fit, is it always like that with the Chromes? did I get a default set?

(by the way first time with flats, really really like the feel and sound!)

other question: are there any other flats that don't leave your fingers with black stuff on them after playing?

I used to play with Dean Markley blues steel and wasn't getting that.

thanks!

2. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    I have the same problem with the B string on my Spector Euro.
    The ball at the end has a hard time getting in you kind of have to jam it in.

3. A.Denis

A.Denis

May 28, 2006
    Montréal
    alright I need some help here, :help:

I really like the sounds of the chromes, but turns out the tension is to high for my injured wrists, from reading other posts seems like the TI flats have lower tension, I am willing to give them a try, but:

any issues installing them on a Spector?
    (like I had with the Chromes?)

are these available locally or everyone buys them on-line?
    (anyone in montreal knows a place that sells them?)

when people mention TI Flats, they do mean something like this right:

Thomastik-Infeld Electric Bass Nickel Flat Wound Roundcore 4 String 36" Scale, .044 - .096, JF364

I know, I am a complete moron when it comes to strings...

4. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC

Thomastiks are excellent strings. I always bought them online.

The strings you mentioned are for long scale basses. Unless you have a long scale bass, or string them through the body, I think it's a better idea to go with the regular oned , JF344.

5. A.Denis

A.Denis

May 28, 2006
    Montréal
    you're right, jf344.

I'll do a quick local check and if I can't find them I'll order them on-line,

thanks,

6. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    In regards to the black stuff: most of the flats I have tried do this to some extent and I believe it has to do with the alloy used in the wrapping. In all cases it went away after a few hours of use.

TI flats are the bomb but you may have a similar issue with the silks not fitting through the bridge. Just trim the silk off as necessary and you should be fine.