1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

chromes or jazz77 rotos

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bring the noise, May 18, 2011.

1. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    Trying to decide which ones. I would probably get med gauge. I play a pbass with sb3 pickups and a maple board. I play mostly classic rock, rock, blues, and some hair band stuff. I would like to know the differences in tone, feel, and tension. Thanks!

2. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    I would also like to throw the new fenders into the mix. I have done a lot of reading on various flats and I believe one of these may suit me best.

3. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    Anyone?

4. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Nov 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    I love Chromes on a P, and Roto77s on a J. Something about the 'bark' of the Roto just seems to compliment the single coils. But on a P, if I were choosing a flat it would be the chromes.

5. +1 to Chromes and P-Bass. Match made in versatile-bass Heaven.

6. J-O

J-O

Jun 27, 2010
    I am pretty sure the rotos will be higher tension than the chromes. Both are great strings and more of a "bright" flat than traditional flats.

7. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    don't like roto's. i like chromes but i like the new fender flats better.

8. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    I've heard a LOT of good about chromes and they will be my next set of flats for my Schecter. Right now I use fender flats, and they're pretty good. The A string is about to snap at the tuner though....

9. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Chromes - you will not be sorry

10. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    Thanks for all the info!

11. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    I currently have dean markley blue steels 50,70,85,105 gauge on. Chromes come in that same gauge. My question is will the Chromes put much more tension on the neck.

12. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Jazz 77's. I've tried a bunch of other flats and they sound terrible in comparison. Anyone who dislikes 77's is, IMHO, insane.

13. k31bassman

k31bassman

Feb 4, 2010
    Nebraska
    I'd say try the 45,65,80,100 set. Tension is 45,52,44,38 lbs. respectively. I actually have a 40,60,80,100 set on one of my p basses and really like that!

14. T40Chump

T40Chump

Jul 12, 2008
    Plano, TX
    While insane isn't the word I'd use I do agree that the 77's sound better than Chromes. I just put 77's on my Stingray and I like them much better.

15. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Chromes vote for me, but I like the 77's too. I just find that the chromes get me that much closer to "my sound" that i have in my head.

I also agree with using the 45 - 100 set. The 50 - 105 set is great too, but i found the tension to be a but too much for me.

Best of luck!

16. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Chromes just sound clanky and uneven to me like D'addario didn't put any effort into them. I dislike D'addarios anyway, but I figured I'd try chromes since everyone loves them and I can't figure out the appeal.

17. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    If I go with the rotos I will probably get the 45-105 set.

18. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    Would the tension on the Chromes 50-105 and the rotos 45-105 be similar in tension?

19. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    No the Roto's have much Higher tension. The rotos sound great but I did not like that much tension on the neck or the way they feel when playing. I would go with GHS precision Flats or Sadowsky Flats they have that thump but are still somewhat brite too. The Chromes are good but do not give that classic thump they are much briter than the Rotos,Sadowskys or GHS

20. bring the noise

bring the noise

May 18, 2011
    So the Chromes are brighter than the rotos? Where can you get the shadowskys?