1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chromes, Swing 66, or Jazz 77 for the tone I'm looking for?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The Mollusk, Apr 19, 2018.

1. D'Addario Chromes

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Swing 66

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Jazz 77

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. The Mollusk

The Mollusk

Mar 28, 2018
    I know tone has a lot to do with your amp and the audio engineer and stuff. No need to explain it.

But I'm in the market for new strings. I have a 50s P bass (not made in the 50s, but the current 50s model). I'm looking for something that straddles the line between bright and thumpy. Something percussive that doesn't sound like a tuned-down guitar, but also something that's articulate and can be heard clearly in the mix. The tone I'm looking for, as I've said, is Geezer's tone on the first two Sabbath albums, in addition to Roger Glover's tone on In Rock. I don't want this to be yet another rounds vs. flats debate, I'm talking about these specific sets of strings.

All of these are medium gauge.

2. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Bright, articulate, clear... Chromes are this, but they still sound like flats.

3. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    I’d go chromes first, then swing 66’s. Both are good

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Your three examples are all flatwound, and to me the Rotosound 77's would be more suited to that tone. For a made in USA alternative, consider Fender 9050.

lz4005 likes this.
  5. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    Chromes will work very well for the tone you're looking for.

6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

For what you’re describing I’d start with a set of Chromes. They work well for any style.

7. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Do not discount Fender flats. They grind very, very well. In a rock setting, that mid grind comes through very well.

michael_t and Linnin like this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^Word^^^

Member8675309 likes this.
  9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Out of just those? I wouldn't ever put a set of Roto Swing 66's on any of my basses. Partly because I think they eat frets (I know they eat my fingers); partly because I don't like round wounds in general (especially stainless rounds); but, mainly because I'd never let a set of them get anywhere near my P-Bass. The Roto 77's might work OK; depending on how bright you really want. Iron Maiden's Steve Harris seems to like them a lot...I like them, too; but "bright" isn't usually what I'm after... Best bet? From your stated desire, probably the Chromes...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018