1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chromes/through body p bass users

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rdwil191, Jan 16, 2012.

1. rdwil191

rdwil191

Feb 10, 2010
    western PA
    1) do I need long or extra long scale? 06 American Standard.

2) I would specifically like to know if I can use the ECB82 long scale .105-.050 set & how it worked.

3) any issues like having to remove silk to get strings through the body, or the steep bend over the saddle causing failure, & with that set would I have to file the nut?

thank you!
    Rob

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Since there are no advantages to stringing through the body (unless you like your strings to feel stiffer) I would just string through the bridge and not risk ruining my sacred flatwounds.

But since that doesn't answer your questions, I will say this:
    1. You should get the extra long scale to ensure that the silk ends clear the nut
    2. I prefer the lighter gauge personally. They feel more slinky and easier to play IMO.
    3. You shouldn't have to remove silk at the ball end but you should be aware that the steep break angle over the saddle is risky for flatwounds.
    4. Regarding the nut, it is possible that you'll need to open up the slots slightly since you are switching to a heavier string gauge.

Personally, I think the 40-95 or 40-100 Chromes fed through the bridge feel and sound great.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Long scale strings MAY work, but you need to measure on your specific instrument:

D'Addario Short fits instruments where Ball End to Nut is up to 32"
    D'Addario Medium fits instruments where Ball End to Nut is 32" - 34"
    D'Addario Long fits instruments where Ball End to Nut is 34" - 36"
    D'Addario Super Long fits instruments where Ball End to Nut is 36" - 38"

4. rdwil191

rdwil191

Feb 10, 2010
    western PA
    thanks for the quick response. I have the .45-.100 Chromes on the bass in my avatar & absolutely love them, so maybe I'll just stick to that set, but I do like fatter strings & more tension.
    Ummm...newbie question & I'll have to look when I get home in a few, but is through the bridge possible with my high mass bridge? I don't remember seeing holes in the tail. Guess I'll report back in awhile. :bag:

5. rdwil191

rdwil191

Feb 10, 2010
    western PA
    Thanks! as soon as I get the measurements & figure out what I need, I'll be placing an order!:bassist:

6. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I'm mostly certain that you can top load. If your bridge looks like this then you are fine:

007-5124-000.

7. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I put long scale D'Addario Chromes on my '11 Precision (strung thru-body) and they work fine, but I had to trim the silk back from the nut. They are the .040 set, and feel wonderful! Still, if I ever change them, I will keep the gauge the same, and try the super long set.

8. rdwil191

rdwil191

Feb 10, 2010
    western PA
    Ok ...now that I've looked at it....duh, yeah, I must have been blind when I looked at it before...holes! Lol! Thanks.

9. blr2

blr2

Apr 21, 2010
    Sofia, EU
    Long scale 45-100 Chromes are too short for TTB on my 05 Am Dlx. P-special.

10. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    Thanks for those measurments SLaPiNFuNK. I think the string manufacturers should print them right on the packaging

11. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    You will definitely need the super long scale. I have owned several through-body basses (a '51 Precision RI, two American Jazzes, and a G&L L1505) and D'Addario doesn't make them long enough for this. They're harder to find in GC/Sam ash, so I always ordered online.

No need to remove the silk either.