1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chromes Through Body: Silk on Nut?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Williethump, May 31, 2020.

1. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    20200531_143319.jpg
    I cut these the same length as the roundwounds I took off. Can flatwounds go through the body OK?

And the silk part on the E is on the nut. Bad thing?
    20200531_143256.jpg
    Should I remove them and thread them through the back of the bridge instead? Will it change the sound?
    Thanks.

2. No, it won't change the sound. In fact, all you need to do is to re-do the E string by top-loading it. The other three can be left alone the way they are.

3. Ekajimmy

Ekajimmy Inactive

Nov 2, 2019
    +1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Good to know. Thanks y'all. So, silk parts not for the nut: bridge vs body threading of E won't affect sound.
    You hear scare stories about flats through the body.
    Sounds easy to do since I cut the pricey things with trepidation to start with. I know they will sound good though. And hide a little bit my finger scrapes. Thanks.

5. La Bella is the only company who explicitly warns against putting their regular flats thru-body. I think it has something to do with the way the stainless steel for the wrap wire is formulated to achieve a certain tonal quality that makes them harder and more brittle than most other flats.

Williethump likes this.
  6. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    That worked well. These Chromes sound just as good as I hoped they would. Thanks for the help.

michael_t likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021