Chromes-Time for a Change

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Slackerprince, Oct 18, 2011.

1. So, I've been playing with Chromes for a while and love how smooth they are, but I played my new teacher's bass, and he had D'Addario Pros and they felt really smooth but had nice punch to them. Just feel like I'm ready for something brighter.
    I'm wondering what other strings out there have a nice, smooth texture, not too grippy, with nice WARM tone, but good punch for slap/pop or funk.
    I just saw some Ken Smith Slick Rounds on BassStringsOnline, and wondering if anyone likes them.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

S

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    you could try some tapewounds?
    or elixers, they are coated.

3. He suggested Elixers.
    I'll do a search on those and check them out.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

S

4. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    I used them for a short while. They certainly don't have the smoothness of Chromes. They almost sound like nickel roundwounds. My problem with these strings was, that I kept beating them against the fretboard.

5. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    These are beautiful strings! I have used them on various basses over the years... currently have them on my Squier '51 P bass- sweet sound. Just put a set of the "super light gauges"- ENR70 (.040-.095) on my Squier Jag HB... even sweeter. Am considering putting the super lights on my Amer P. They will keep a true sound longer than Rounds... (Rotos) which are currently on my P. You will get good punch from the super lights!

6. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    A clear example of different playing styles and personal preferences. This is what makes us unique. :cool:

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021