1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chromes--what gauge?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rugaar, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    I've been running Fender 9050ML flats (.050-.100) on my P bass for awhile and like them but I just broke another E string so thought I might give the Chromes a shot, since they've got so many followers around here. I'm leaning towards trying the medium gauge .050-.105 Chromes instead of the .045-.100's. One of the reasons I'm thinking of the heavier Chromes is because I like the tension of the Fenders and I'm concerned that the Chromes might be a bit too slinky feeling for me. Any thoughts on this?

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Chromes will have less tension than the Fenders, but not by a whole lot--I would go the 50-105s to start.

3. jansenh

jansenh

Nov 22, 2005
    Stavanger
    +1

4. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Thanks for confirming my guess. 105's are on the way.

5. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009

So are you saying that chromes have less tension than round wound in the same guage. I just bought a new Squire Classic Vibe Jazz and bought 50-105s not realizing the bass came with 45-100s, which is what I have on my 86 Peavey Fury P Bass. Those 50 105s sure seem a lot bigger. Not sure it's the strings I need to get used to or the bass itself. The Peavey is actually thiner all the way up the neck than the jazz. The strings I took off the Squire were round wound and I use half round on the Peavey. Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Ed
    Acoustic Club #133

6. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Nope, the flats will have more tension than rounds for the same gauge. Fender flats are pretty high. Chromes are a bit lower, which is why I bumped up a bit when I switched from Fender to Chromes--to keep the feel approximately the same.

7. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009

Thanks,
    One more question if you don't mind. I'd imagine that Chromes 45-100 then would have more tension than Diadarrio 45-100 in a half round. I haven't gigged with the Chrome 50-105's yet so maybe I'm just over playing since I don't have the thing plugged in. I was able to get fairly low action out of it and I'd hate to spend more money on strings and reset up the axe. So for the question, how much more bottom end is there between the two different sizes? How much loss of highs? I'll report back on Saturday after Friday nights gig.

8. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    100s will be much closer to feeling like rounds. I tried both 100 and 105s, but prefer 105's because I think flats work better with tension. Flat surface is stickier than rounds and makes loose flats hard to play.

9. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    Sorry guys I won't be able to report on this after all.
    Swapped the strings out for 45-100 Chromes. Much better for me. Interestingly enough I had to make no truss rod, string height or intonation adjustments. Everything is perfect.
    And still sounds great.

10. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    Just a quick update on the Chromes 45-100...... Gigged last night, excellent tone. Excellent highs, mid and bottom. Great for the Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz and Country we play. Cut through the mix very well. Being a guitar player I was even able to bend a note here and there just for kicks. Not sticky at all as some have said. Smooth fast action and easy on the hands. Love em