Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by beam, Oct 27, 2005.

1. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    I put the chromes on my Shecter, and they sound pretty good! Though I noticed that after playing them for a little while that they were a little sticky and I had some grey residue on my fingers. I tried again the next night, and found the same grey smudges.

So I took some paper towels and dabbed thme with a bit of rubbing alcohol and cleaned up the strings a bit. I kept rubbing at them until there were no more streaks on the towel. Now they don't have any problems with them, but I was wondering if this was something you've encountered before?

Overall, I think I like the feel of my Labellas better, I'll get them next time I think ;)

2. Are these strings from D'Addario? I use D'Addario Chromes on my fretless and I never got anything like that.

3. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

Yup, that's them
    Maybe just a dirty set?

4. I guess, that's pretty wierd. Write them an angry letter! Maybe you'll get a few sets for free!

5. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

You know, that isn't a bad idea at all.

Ok, sent one out. It wasn't angry, I just expressed some concern as to whether or not this was a common occurance, and would it happen again if I bought their strings..

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    All the chromes I have bought have been like that. I think it is a result of the final grinding. Most flats I have bought have that problem.

7. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

Hmm, then maybe I got lucky with my Labellas. They were smooth and clean

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've gotten this before, never paid too much attention to it.

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The D'A Chromes on my P-Lyte were the same way when I first put them on. I figured it was normal.