1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jazzin', Mar 22, 2006.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Are the D'Addario Chromes supposed to make my fingers and fingerboard all greyish? They don't do it anymore because I've used them enough and wiped it all off, but for the first couple of days they did. As soon as I opened the package my hands were all covered in grey. It was mainly from the E and A string. They also gave this weird powdery grey stuff off to the fingerboard of my fretless. It easy to wipe it off on my hands and off of the board but I had to do it often until it was all gone. Has anyone had this happen with their Chromes? Do Chromes actually have chrome on them? What are they made out of?

2. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    That is definitely a Chromes thing. I keep a spray can of Finger Ease around to clean them as soon as they are on the bass. It also helps with the high-friction/sticky feel that new flats can have. Hit them once when they are new and you can put the can away for the next year or two.

3. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i use to use these and still think they're a great flatwound. here's what i did before i put them on: wipe them down with denatured alcohol. i think the gray stuff is compound. comes right off with no problem.

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I recently put a set on my fretless and had no prolems with that. Then again my fingers don't seem to swaet very much when playing

5. Jazzin'

You don't even need sweaty fingers do have this problem, u don't even need fingers. The stuff rubs off onto anything it touches.

Does anyone have the chemical reasoning behind this phenomena?

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    metal dust from manufacturing?

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    well the only thing I can think of is that since it is metal "ribbon" wrapped around the central core and is a hell of a lot thinner than traditional roundwound wrapping and a lot more surface area to boot, it could just be that they are more susceptible to wear.

Edit: Just realised that if that was the case then one would be replacing them fairly often rather than the number of years that people often leave them on for.

Edit 2: The only reason I can give you behind the colour change would be oxidization i.e. "rusting" in a sense, similar to the greenish colour copper goes when exposed to the elements. That was also why I immediately thought sweat might be playing a role in that. Do you live near the coast or another area that is close to water? Perhaps outside humidity is to blame?

8. Jazzin'

There's no color change, it's just a grey/silver powdery stuff that rubs off. Maybe it's not even chemical.

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Does D'addario outsource its labor? OMGWTFOMG!!!11

ANTHRAX!!!1!!

w3r3 a77 g()nn@ d13!!11oneone

Apologies.....Incredibly sorry about that. :bag:

I wouldn't worry, it's probably just fairy dust.