Chromies Chromies Chromies Chromies

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Claude, Aug 23, 2000.

1. Claude

Jul 31, 2000
    Has anybody used the D'addario Chromies? They're ribbon wound, and feel like a flatwound, but I haven't been able to hear them. They are very expensive, and I'm afraid to waste my money. The ghs boomers I use now are just fine, but I'm always willing to inprove. The salesman is so excited about the Chromies that he's offering the first set at 1/2 price. Deal or Gimmick?
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    D'Addario Chromes are a flatwound string and have been around for over 20 yrs AFAIK. They shouldn't be expensive, has them for $25 and I've seen them cheaper than that.

They are NOTHING like a roundwound string -- they are VERY high tension and kind of stiff, with a solid hex core. They have a very strong thunk factor, hit kind of hard and thick, but don't have a whole lot of dimensionality to them. VERY smooth to the touch, and kind of nice in some ways, but no longer my preference for flatwounds since Thomastiks came along.
  3. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I just switched to Chromes after not being able to get GHS Brite Flats in the gauges I like. I'm really happy with them so far, but I'll have to agree with Bob a bit. They have a great sound, but it is pretty narrow. It's no big deal to me, since that's the sound I want; great low end, and non-abrasive mids. I got them for $25 at Mars, so I wouldn't call them expensive
  4. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I use them on my P-bass, and the sound excellent for that low thumpy sound. You are not going to really slap with them, but that's not the point. Their sound if very fat and they don't really sustain very much.

I bought mine from musicians friend