1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

chronic string breakage - HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by quincy_j_clomo, Apr 18, 2010.

1. quincy_j_clomo

quincy_j_clomo Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Silver Spring, MD
    hey talkbass, this is my first post here, and i have a problem. i'm breaking strings left and right! i've gone through 4 sets in the last month and a half. i took my bass to a luthier and he filed the saddles, thinking they were too sharp, but that didn't help. i can't afford to keep buying new strings. you guys got any ideas?

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Tell us more. What kind of bass? What kind of strings? Are you using standard tuning? Is there any consistency as to how or where the strings break? How do you play?

3. quincy_j_clomo

Apr 18, 2010
    Silver Spring, MD
    playing a ric 4001, using DR Sunbeams. 4 strings, standard tuning. The strings consistently break right where they meet the saddles. I tried playing with different gauge strings, lighter and heavier, but it didn't help at all so i went back to my comfort zone of 0.45 gauge. and as i said, the saddles were deburred by a luthier. no one string seems to break more than the others.

4. quincy_j_clomo

Apr 18, 2010
    Silver Spring, MD
    also, i play with my fingers most of the time, but will occasionally hit some chords with a pick. i never slap.

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    It's probably your technique. Also, are you buying cheap strings?

6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Do you play very hard?

If you're using DRs (quality strings) and had your bridge checked out for sharp edges, I can only think that you must be playing awfully hard to have consistent breaks.

7. does graph-tech make a saddle that will retro fit your bridge? seems like a strange problem - even if you play extremely hard you shouldn't be breaking that many strings . . .

8. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Are your strings tapered ? I use Dean Markley SR2000, and the tapered E broke 2 times recently, and I had almost never broke a string before.

9. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The only times I've repeatedly broken strings, it was because the saddles were too close to the string holes on the neck, causing a very severe, abrupt angle on the strings. If the saddles are right next to the end of the bridge (furthest from the neck) that may be the cause. If that is where the saddles need to be for good intonation...then you could lower the action.

10. Quincy I had exactly the same problem as you! My top 3 strings were breaking all the time. Even broke my E string once. Under advice, I also filed down my bridge saddles and lubricated them after every string change. This didnt really solve the problem. I was using DR fatbeams and Lo-riders at the time.

Recently, I have been using Sadowsky SS blues. I have not had a string break on me in the last 6 months. I think these strings are less flexible. They certainly feel that way. I think the reason I was continually breaking the DRs is because my sweat must be more corrosive than other's. You may be the same. Try giving the sadowskys a go. They're cheaper and they sound decent. Similar to the DRs, unfortunatley not lasting as long however.

11. quincy_j_clomo

Apr 18, 2010
    Silver Spring, MD
    well, thanks everyone. i'll try those suggestions out and see what happens.

12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    This would seem a likely cause - especially when strings are breaking at the bridge. Can the OP post a few snapshots?