Chronicles of Narnia

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Transverz, May 24, 2005.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    So who else saw the trailer before the SW:ROTS and wanted so bad to see this movie already?!?! Looks awesome. I hardly remember the book which I read a million times as a kid, but I know it was the goodness.

Based on visuals and a short trailer, I think they are gonna do those books some justice!

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I remember those books very well.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I remember the books too.
  4. I remember reading those books, very cool stuff. Going to see star wars tonight hopfully so I'll make sure to pay attention to that trailer.
  5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, watch for the can't miss it! Well, at first you might. ;) But yeah, just check it...

(Figjam: Hey, what's up!? How's the Sterling? Dude, I bought a Bongo. WHOOOOOOOA, VERY NICE.)

6. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    i never really got into those books i'm more of a lord of the rings fan i don't even think i have read them
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    aw, no kiddin'? i read those years ago when i was a kid...i was into those before i read the hobbit/rings trilogy etc...didn't tolkien and c.s. lewis have some sort of association with each other?
  8. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Wow, I haven't heard those books mentioned in years. I was never really into them, but I did enjoy them. I'll most likely go and check ouy the movie just for old times sake. ;)
  9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    they were friends, i think...?

i know that at least c.s. lewis was a fan of tolkien.

yeah, right when i saw two boys and two girls, i thought, "NARNIA!" :hyper:

i wonder if they're going to do all seven books...?
  10. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I go back and read the series every few years. I also recommend the "Space Trilogy" by C.S. Lewis and any of his nonfiction, too.

C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and a couple of other guys whose names escape me were part of a group they called "The Inklings" at Oxford. They met at a pub around the corner from the University and discussed the nature of God and literature, and probably pipe tobacco as well ;)
  11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    They were extremely close, and spent a lot of time together - Tolkien was also a key figure in Lewis' conversion to Christianity. Lewis went on to be a major force in Christian literature, including the awesome Chronicles of Narnia as well as the Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity.
  12. I think I'm the only person in the world who hasn't read these by the time they're 16, I'm going to the library after finals.

Edit: Oh man, I've got like 12 books I want/need to read this summer.
  13. I HATE THOSE BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats right, I was the little anti-religion fifth grader who thought Narnia was misery..........or did no one else see the connection to Christianity?
  14. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    that was just cs lewis exploring his religious dilemma at the time through his writings.
  15. We saw it.

16. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The Lion, The Witch, the Wardrobe was the first book I ever read to myself. I think was 4 or 5. My mother was reading it too me a chapter at a time when I went to sleep. One night I couldn't stand it anymore so I turned the light on after she went to bed and finished it. I went through the whole series, then my older brother gave me a copy of The Hobbit adn told me I would like it even more.

He was right, I've been hooked on fantasy ever since.

I noticed the religious paralells too. A funny story: I was in Catholic school at the time I discovered them. One of my teachers found "The Last Battle" in my book bag and called my mother. She was concered that I was reading "satanic literature that promotes witchcraft". Obviously she hadn't read them, as this was the most blatantly Christian book of the series.

They are great books weather you like the religious slant or not. I think the movies will be cool if they hold true to the story, I am slightly worried that the director is going to be taking them too far towards a religious aspect based on an interview he gave where he said he wanted to make the books "a "Passion of Christ" for kids".

The relgious paralells are an important part of the story, but the reason they work is that they are concealed in such a way as to allow a child to discover them themselves. When they become the entire reason for the book the story itself looses its magic.
  17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i never noticed any sort of religious themes, but then again, i was in third grade when i read'em.

now that i think about it...yeah, the last battle is a lot like the book of revelations.

i guess i didn't notice it because a lot of the themes in fiction are congruent with biblical themes. (star wars, for example, isn't short on this--of course i didn't realize this when i was in third grade!) :D
  18. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Aslan = God

While we are at it I guess the cat is out of the bag regarding where I got my nick from :)

19. I'm with you Page. Even at ~12 when I started to read LWW, I found it very hoaky. I was more into Hard sci-fi like Asimov, Hienlen, Herbert.......I didn't care for the subliminal christian overtones in narnia.
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have read the books many times. Hopefully the movie will be good, and do well enough for them to keep making more movies.:)