1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chrysler PT Cruiser

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by barroso, Mar 10, 2008.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Is there anyone here who oens and drive this car?
    which are you opinions?
    Which gear (amps & cabs) can be carried in the back?
    Is it a bass player friendly car?

:)

2. I have a 2002, it's a nice ride! I took the back seats out and I can haul pretty much anything (within reason). If you are transporting a fridge, it will do that.

Hope this helps! Russ

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I have an '03 GT. The back seats can get out of the way if necessary and even be removed (although removing/replacing can be a PITA). The low gas mileage and limited cargo space if hauling passengers should be considered before getting this car.

If you plan to haul equipment regularly I'd go with a van or something. My wife's Honda Odyssey has way more space than my car and we get roughly the same mileage. If I'm going to suffer low gas mileage I'd at least want a bunch of space inside the vehicle.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thank you all.
    no, honestly i do not think that i will haul gear so often.
    I just want to replace my car, and i like a lot the look of this PT cruiser. thay are quite usual also here in italy.

i am not in hurry, just investigating a little bit.

due to high price of fuel here i could add a gas system

5. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I rented one once.

It was a fun little car to drive. Kind of a slug (non turbo) though.

What's great is the large flat floor that can be had.

Also they are supposed to be pretty reliable.

The downside is you mostly see old people driving them

A Scion Box XB would be comparable.

6. My wife had one for a few days while her Durango was in the shop. I was suprised at how roomy the PT was on the inside. I'm 6'2" and had plenty of leg and headroom. Overall a nice riding, easy handling ride. My only complaint is being a 4 door, the doors are rather short. It limits the space I can rest my left arm while the window is down :confused: Do they make a 2 door besides the convertable?? If so, that would be the PT, for me.

7. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    Hope you're not a tall person.

I found the Cruiser to be an interesting looking vehicle when they first came out... then I sat in one... I'm 6' 5"... I'd have to have a sun-roof and keep it open at ALL times in order to drive one of those damn things...

Cool looking cars but not tall friendly and Consumer Reports hasn't ever had much good to say about them either.

good luck!

8. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
  9. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Try a Scion xB

10. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I don't know if you get snow, but I had to drive one of these daily as a work vehicle. The 4 cylinder versions don't have enough HP for the weight of the vehicle. Gas mileage is pretty bad for a 4 cyl engine. The 6 cylinders if I remember correctly only slightly get worse gas mileage due to the efficiency of the engine.

Now about the snow, even though it was front wheel drive it was horrid in wintry conditions.

An Element would be MUCH better.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    +1, especially the newer ones. I have a 2004 and it has the plastic cladded fenders. The new ones are all painted and have some really nice rims.

12. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    My guitarist has one hates it; the quality leaves a lot to be desired. It's been in and out of the shop too much considering its age and milage. He's been looking to get out from under it for a while.

It would be a great car to go to a Halloween party in if you were dressed as Roger Rabbit, though.

13. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    I've got a friend from out of town visiting as I type this and she's rented one for her stay. She claims the gas mileage sucks so if that's an issue for you consider that. Other than that, no complaints.

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Never seen a 6 cylinder PT. I don't think there's enough room under the hood for a 6 in one of those.

Personally I don't like them. Cheap and plasticky, like most Chryslers.

15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I rented a PT Cruiser last year during my 10th anniversary vacation with my wife in Cancun.

We drove to Chichen Itza and back, and by the time we got to Playa del Carmen, I had literally herniated a disk in my back from riding in the horrible seats of the PT Cruiser. I spent the next five days in utter agony before I could fly back to the US for surgery on my disk.

If I had a PT Cruiser, I'd push the damned thing off a cliff and have my revenge.

FWIW, it also has a lot less storage space in the back than you would think.

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    All they are is dressed up Neons. The PT is built on the Neon platform, so check the reliability there, as well.

17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    The PT is just a Neon station wagon.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Check out the Chevrolet HHR if you like the PT Cruiser. Similar concept, better execution from what I've read.

19. Yes another +1, based on experience with both vehicles.

The E is just awesome, been driving it every day since Oct. 2003, never had the first complaint...wait, that's not true:

I hate where the coin holder is located, it's a PITA to reach in and get a quarter for tolls, etcetera.

Otherwise, PERFECT vehicle for me - good gas mileage (25mpg), enough room to put a PT Cruiser or Scion xB inside it, comfortable on a long drive (without strong cross winds...flat side in cross winds = work to keep it going in a straight line), and Honda's bullet-proof reliability.

The PT, well....it's cute, but small inside compared to the E, and it has Chrysler reliability issues.

20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    There is no 6 cylinder version. The are 3 different 2.4L versions. The first is normally aspirated and puts out like 160HP. The 'turbo lite' version puts out 215HP but doesn't benefit from the piston oil jets or intercooler. The full turbo 'GT' model puts out 240+ HP, has an intercooler and enables the oil jets that spritz the underside of the piston to keep it cool.

Different wheel base. Only the proto PT was built on the Neon platform.

The HHR was designed by the same guy who designed the PT Cruiser. GM lured him away from DCX.