Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chuck Berry's autograph on my bass - good idea?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Aug 16, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    So 2/5 of our band is booked to play onstage with and backing Chuck Berry and Little Richard Labor Day weekend, our drummer and keyboard player (crap - bass player already booked).

Would you have Chuck Berry autograph the back of the headstock of your bass? I have a pristine 98 Fender Jazz Deluxe fretless. I also have a 81 Fender CIJ Telecaster and I'm definitely gonna have him sign the back of the headstock on that one.

Would you? I mean, we're talkin icon status here for cripes sake.

2. I would, but good luck - he doesn't exactly have a great reputation (or patience) for his backing bands. he'll probably ask you to pay him for the autograph.

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1

If you really want his autograph, just pick up one of his CD's to be autographed. No since in messing up a perfectly nice Fender with a guitar players signature! ;)

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Because he's known for his bass playing?

I'd find a nice record or poster for him to sign.

5. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    What I may do would be buy a new white pickguard and get that signed - then you can remove it and keep for as long as you want and still play the bass without worry of it being wiped off or anything?

Steve

6. Better watch out for him! I believe he put Keith Richards out cold once... I wouldn't want to mess with him.

7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    +1

The original pickguard on my sunburst jazz bass is white but Nino made me a vintage brown tort pickguard that sits there. Great idea!

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    We played a show with the Grass Roots, the Turtles, and Herman's Hermits, and I had Peter "Herman" Noone sign my Epi Rivoli 'cause it's just like what the bassist in HH played in the 60s.
    Just like when people get McCartney to sign their Hofner bass. I say all that because when I think of C.Berry, I think of Gibson ES-series guitars, I don't think of a fretless bass.
    Now, all that being said, it's your bass, do what you want and pay no attention to what others think, in fact disregard this thread and do what you want.
    [​IMG]

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Chuck Berry refuses to sign guitars because he thinks the owner is going to sell it for much higher than it's worth based on his signature. He's probably right, too. So good luck trying to get him to do it.

BTW, seeing as how Chuck's like 76 now, I think his ass kicking days are over, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Also BTW, Peter Noone is a great guy. I used to back him up on shows, but now he carries a band so I don't get to work with him anymore.

10. I dunno, he's still pretty vivacious. I wouldn't want to cross him the wrong way.

11. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I say try to get him to sign it, if he doesn't, proceed to use the bass as a weapon and bash him in the face for being an ass. He's old and brittle so i doubt your bass will sustain any serious damage. And if you ding it, imagine the story you could tell chicks about it?

If there's one thing i hate, it's people like him and John Myung. :scowl:

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Get him to sign a toilet seat.

13. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    A couple of years ago, Chuck came down this way to play during the Buddy Holly Music Festival and his reputation was proven correct. He doesn't rehearse with the back up band and when they screwed up, he let them have it. I don't think he was ever asked to come back again. A total a**hole. I think I'd have him sign some toilet paper then do what comes natural with it.

14. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    What did JM do? :confused:

15. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Long story, but basically knocked me into pile of trash outside beacon theater to avoid giving me an autograph, after i waited outside for 3hrs in 10 degree weather.

Edit: he also ignored a group of fans that flew all the way from JAPAN just for the concert.

16. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Whoa. He always seemed so quiet... :meh:

17. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    +1
    What did John Myung do?

18. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Hopefully you looked up and saw i answered that already :p

19. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    My bad. I thought that was CB. Why can't people be gracious and humbled by the fact that people look up to and admire them? Jack Russell from Great White did the same thing. He ducked into the tour bus while Mark Kendall and Audi Desbrow were more than happy to sign autographs. I saw him through the front window and mouthed the words "F*** OFF" and flipped him off. What a jackass.

20. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    You should have said-
    "Hey Buddy- Where's the fire?" :bag: