Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chuck Levin of Washington Music Center dead

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Tragic. How long 'till his great store dissapears to be replaced with a conglomerate? Shame.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't see that happening.

4. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Good.

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That's really sad :(

That is a really good store. I would hate to see it go to a conglomerate too, but I also think that it is big enough to sustain itself, so I have no worries.

6. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well one could argue that Venemen was big enough to sustain itself also, but look what happened with those stores. :( Venemen saw the chance and cashed out.

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I drive right by the Veneman/Guitar center to go to Chucks, which is another 5 or so miles. I too really hope things don't change at Chucks'. As far as Veneman cashing out, he cashes in every month. He still owns the building and GC rents from him.

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well all I can say is that I hope nothing happens to the store. It's a great place.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My condolences to the Levin family and WMC employees.

I'm confident that the store will keep on going as is, and I'll continue to be a happy customer.

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    RIP Chuck your music will live forever, As a cancer survivor myself I know how hard that battle can be:(

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    So long, Chuck.

Condolences to his family.

:(

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    that is a shame..
    I buy all of my gear there even tho I now live in PA. I have been buying stuff there since 1980.

I remember Mr. Levin giving me a "lesson" in the construction of cellos one day. I walked in and said i wanted a cello. they took me upstairs and He asked what i was looking for and then lit into me (in a nice way) for not knowinf the diff between solid wood and plywood cellos. I was well informed by the time i left, and he gave me a great price on a cello !

That place is an institution like no other, I cannot imagine it going away.

Don

13. Oh, man, that sucks.

Chuck Levin's is my favorite store by far. Most of the employees are great, and their prices are the lowest I've seen, and they carry EVERYTHING.

This sucks.