Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chuck Rainey and effects?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Alan Vorse, Jan 11, 2006.

1. I have seen in a few articles over the years, that Chuck Rainey brought a full pedal board (with distortion, flanger and more) to sessions. Does anyone know of anything he played on where he used effects?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've been a huge Rainey fan since '75...I can't think of anything.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe he was being humorous and sarcastic to the interviewer(s)!! ;)

4. Possibly Bruce, but the most recent place I saw this was Ed Friedland's Masters of RnB Bass book. Ol' Ed wouldn't lie to us would he?:confused:

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Like Jim I'm a long time fan with a ton of Chuck's work including solo albums, and can't think of one either. Maybe a review is in order.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Why not ask - he's a member of this board - send him a PM!!

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Key word: "Brought" = "not used", as in, 'just in case some record producer wanted a different sound'? ;)

Then again, maybe Rainey ghosted f/x-laden parts for some 'famous' guys that we're not all that hip about?
    ;)

Someone contact Ed!
    (I bought Ed's R&B Masters book over Xmas break & musta missed that part).

8. I Pm'd Ed. He said he couldn't think of any specific tracks, but hadn't heard the entire Chuck Rainey discography.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Any time I've seen him, in person or on film, he's just plugged into a Radial DI. He did write a couple of BP columns where he discussed the bassists role regarding synth basslines, so maybe he did some pseudo-synth stuff in the '80s?

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Maybe you're thinking of Larry Graham? He used tons of effects...

11. Nah, it was in his '97 Bass Player cover story too. I will have to dig it out and see if there are any more clues.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rainey kinda went on a hiatus in the '80s...Nathan East seemed to be the one picking up Rainey's gigs.

There are nuggets, though, like Rainey's couple cuts on Gaucho, his one cut(IIRC) on Fagen's The Nightfly, + Eye To Eye's debut album(produced by Gary Katz with most of the Dan sessioneers).

The next step is to e-mail Chuck himself...when we had a past disagreement on who played bass on "To Be Real"(Cheryl Lynn), I went to the source & got an earful of details.
    ;)

13. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Was that Chuck? I always thought it was early Marcus...doh! You learn something eveyday here at Talkbass.:cool:

14. Bruce Lindfield

On his official website there is a huge list of recordings - most of which I've never heard of - maybe that's why it appeared to be a hiatus - he carried on working, but the albums didn't do very well....?

15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It's been awhile......I just got done listening to the Chuck Rainey Coalition album, he used what sounds like a phaser on the song 'It's Gonna Rain'..........the album came out in 1972 though.:eek: