1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chuck Rainey and Victor Wooten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Juneau, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Pete Skjold and I went to go see Bela Fleck and the Flecktones last night at Bass Hall in Ft. Worth. It was an awesome show, with a great opening act. Pete said it was the best show he'd seen of theirs. Victor also did an amazing solo of course. The highight of the show for me though, happened before the show even got started.

Walking up to the entrance, Pete and I notice Victor signing an autograph on the sidewalk, with this tall man next to him I sorta recognize. Pete walks up to the taller man and says, "Hey Chuck, how's it going". Victor is just quietly standing next to him. This man, Chuck, turns to Pete and shakes his hand, with a sorta confused look, as if to say I know you, but I forget how hehe. Pete introduces himself, and Chuck immediatly knows him and gives him a big hug. Chuck then introduces us both to Victor. We chat for a few minutes, talking about when we've seen them before, basses of course and some talk about Chuck's moving back to Dallas and his daughter is about to graduate ect. So we thank them, and wish Victor a good show and take our leave. Walking away from them, I say to Pete, who was that guy, I know him from somewhere. Pete just starts laughing and says, "Thats Chuck Rainey". Of course I feel like a goof and we have a good laugh.

It turned out, I recognized him from a pic Pete gave me of him holding a Skjold bass hehe. Victor had played a Skjold at a North Texas clinic as well. When Pete mentioned it, Victor remembered the student's name who had it. I was pretty impressed with that. Victor was really laid back, and barely said anything. He would listen to what you had to say and respond, but he was obviously keeping it brief (I can totally understand - and was part of the que to take our leave). Chuck on the other hand was very personable and glad to chat it up. It was a pretty cool experience for my first Bela Fleck show. I saw Chuck on about the 3rd row all night, standing up between sets and chatting with all the bass players that came by. Both he and Victor were really nice guys :)

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a neat story. I hope you see Mr. Rainey around more since he is back in Dallas.

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Im sure I will. He was a fan of Pete's work, maybe we can get him to play a clinic at the next GTG :)

4. I am envious.

I was at Victor's Soul Circus show at Mississippi Nights in St. Louis a few months back and ran into a bass player I met years before named David Karns. He and his girlfriend were trying to find a place to sit and I offered them a seat I was holding with the deal that when the show got started we would share the spot.

We chatted and I arranged to start taking lessons from David. Haven't done it yet, but I am on the list.

Turns out that David, unbeknownced to me, is really top-shelf in the bass-player world and knew a bunch of the folks backstage at the show (Sorry David, I had always heard your name mentioned in the highest regard, but never new just how good you are!). Anyway, he told me to stick around after the show and we could go and meet all the gang. I heard him mention Chuck Rainey - Phil Burton - and a number of other names that I had heard before, but was not too familiar with. I am not certain if all of them were at this show, but I do recall the names...

Well, long story short - I had a 'really good time' and indulged in a few Guinness's and by the end of the eve was feeling groovy - but I did not want to go meeting my hero, Victor, inebriated, so I opted out. Looking back, I was not so bad, just feeling really self-conscious and I am kicking myself to this day for not going for it and at least shaking his hand.

Lesson(s) learned...

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    So was my thread title not catchy enough? hehehe

Maybe I should have titled it "Met Chuck Rainey and Victor Wooten tonight" :D

6. David_Karns

David_Karns

Feb 1, 2004
    Tony... I know I'm way late on this one.. but I've been on the road.

here's the post show...

me w/ vic, al caldwell and the Famous Phil Jones (PJB)

Peace.

DK

Attached Files:

7. Good people man. I guess they understand we all have to stand naked in front of our Creator, i.e., THEY'RE REAL.

How cool. I might never meet Chuck, brushed against Vic, but that aint no meeting. So I'll live vicariously through you!

THNX!

8. David - no prob. on the late arrival - and I won't make that mistake again! I am stickin' around no matter what!

LOL

9. mr.hughes

mr.hughes

Sep 12, 2005
    Ireland
    That's a great story Juneau. (sorry I'm only reading it now)

It's great when you meet folks you've listened to for years/admire/respect, and they turn out to be even cooler than their basslines. I met Avishai Cohen at a Chick Corea gig in Belfast, N.Ireland a few years back. We chatted for a good while and that respect and sincerity, as well as the advice, has stuck with me to this day.

10. If you get the chance again, take it. All the Flecktones were really quite accomodating when I stuck around in the venue after their show in London. I'd agree with Juneau and say that Victor was probably the least chatty, but he came out before the show to the front of the venue and had a little chat, so it all balances out. The other guys were cool too, didn't mind signing loads of autographs, or having photos taken.

As proof of how awesome the Flecktones are, I submit this photo:

DCP01750.