Chuck Rainey at Johnny D's in Somerville, MA

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jimmysquid, Mar 26, 2001.

1. jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey folks,

I just wanted to tell you a little about my Saturday night this past weekend. I went into see legendary bassist Chuck Rainey playing with his group the Chuck Rainey Coalition. Chuck's discography is ridiculous! Check it out at but a few of the artists he's played with are Aretha Franklin, Quincy Jones, Paul Simon, and Steely Dan. His stuff with Steely is amazing, esp on Aja, where he's on almost every track.

Chuck grooves were amazing! I mean this guy and Jerry Jemmot pretty much invented the funk grooves that most of us are playing. Rocco Prestia from Tower of Power got a lot of his stuff from Chuck as have a million other players.

But what was even more incredible than his playing was his personality. Chuck Rainey is the most down to earth nicest guys in the world. At set break he was just chilling out at the bar talking to people, as was Rich Appleman, head of Berklee Bass Dept-another really great guy! I told Chuck how much his playing had inspired me and that "Peg" was my favorite bass line of all time. He was flattered and very gracious telling me that it meant a lot to him to hear that from young up and coming bass players! I should have explained to him that although I am young I'm not "up and coming." He was very patient with all our questions and then started his second set sincerely thanking all the real fans who had come out for the show and then proceed to play huge amounts of huge funk.

Also he had Elliot Randall playing guitar in his band. Elliot was the guy who played all the lead stuff for "Reelin In the Years" on Can't Buy A Thrill. What a monster player! They did "Reelin" and a funky cover of Steely's "Night By Night" that's on Chuck's new CD which I'm waiting for Amazon to send me.