1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chuck Rainey meets Tommy Tedesco

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by elgecko, Nov 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Cool story bro (said without a shred of sarcasm)!

billgwx, pacojas, GregC and 11 others like this.
  2. Testing123

Testing123 Eschew obfuscation

Jan 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Great story (and video).
    Thanks for bringing it to our attention. :thumbsup:

3. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    AWESOME! That is one of the best behind the scenes stories I've heard in years.

4. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I love that, beautiful story!

5. Testing123

Jan 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    I became aware of Tommy Tedeco in 1977 when he played Tommy Marranuchi, one of the guitarist in the "Happy Kyne and His Mirthmakers" 'orchestra' on the TV show, Fernwood Tonight.
    He used to sit there as deadpan as could be, playing these bebop licks that were incredible. Funny stuff indeed and yet, he as well as the other guys in the band were all great musicians.

Here's a clip from an old seminar at Musicians institute of Tommy telling the students about his audition for Fernwood Tonight:

pacojas and bonespatrol like this.
  6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Great Story - thanks for posting

7. blah blah beautiful!

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Watch The Wrecking Crew movie (streaming still on Netflix?) for more Tedesco stories...

After watching, I ended up picking up his cover issue of Guitar Player mag (July 1977).
    Good read, too.

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    My favorite part about the video is that my all-time bass hero admits that he's only human AND he's humble about it.

:thumbsup:

pacojas likes this.
  10. I have the Wrecking Crew documentary coming in the mail from Netflix soon. I remember way back when Tommy Tedesco had a regular column ("Studio Log", or something like that) in GP. Probably have the TT cover issue in the back of my closet too. He always struck me as a very cool pro.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    TT's GP columns showed the complexity of some of his charts...that & how much $ he was taking in for a 3-hour session.
    :)

12. Testing123

Jan 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Do tell!

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  15. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Hey, that's quite a clip.

Sometimes I recall Tommy's story of a producer telling him "that's close, but I want you to play it more green." And it nailed my butt to the seat as he demonstrated playing the score as written and how he played it for the take.

Also recall that Tommy was most emphatic about never changing his strings. Said he if he changed his strings he'd change his sound and his sound puts the food on the table. Not worth the risk. What I saw of his collection of stringed instruments still has me grinning.

16. Yeah, I remember him mentioning playing lots of ethnic folk instruments in a GP interview. He said he listed them in the union directory too, reasoning that people would be more likely to call him for the job because they could pronounce his name.

17. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Love this story, I got to hear Chuck tell it in person at a clinic last year at Chicago Music Exchange. He told some other great stories, but this was the best.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021