1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chuck Rainey, "most recorded bass player"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I was reading his website and came across this bit of info in the 4th Paragraph in his Biography......................

"Without any argument, he is the most recorded bass player in the history of recorded music and is the most imitated by bass players as a whole."

I had heard of him quite a bit, but did not know he had such a big history of recording with people. Just goes to show you, you hear so much about certain bass players being the "The best bass player of all time" or how fast someone can play etc...but many bass players who have been around for a LONG TIME, dont seem to get their fair props, nor do they seem to complain about it, but somehow, the conversation usually will turn full circle and by the end of the day, end up where it should be, i.e...discussing those who have been doing it for quite some time. More cats like Nathan East, and Nathan Watts, Bob Babbitt are just a few more I can think of as well, but this thread is about Chuck:cool:

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Wow.

:eyebrow:

What a statement.

Why, yes, Chuck has been on a great many records. The most recorded bass player ever? Not sure about that, but maybe. But "the most imitated"? No chance.

I know the guy is a serious player and knows who to lay down a damn solid groove, but I really don't think he is the most imitated. What about the Jacos, Wootens, Fleas and Paul McCartneys of this world?

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

You might see a lot of people trying to cop Jaco, Wooten, and Flea in a music store, but I bet he is the most imitated by working bassists. How many Xerox Wootens have you seen that actually play in bands with that style? I'd guess none.

Not that I think it's possible to quantify his argument, mind you. And, I'd guess that he didn't actually do the webwork or bio himself, either.

In any event, I'll ask him about it next week in Dallas. :D

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, perhaps, but then, as you have said, it's impossible to quantify this arugment.

And I still balme Chuckfor making me GAS for a Warwick Streamer Stage II!

5. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Joe Osborne, James Jamerson, Paul McCartney, Carol Kaye would top this list (as most recorded), but, like you said, this thread is about Chuck Rainey, who's "right in there". What a career, a talent and fortunate for us, immortalized on tape.

6. gingerbeer

gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
    he recorded "i want you "from marvin gaye ,allong with wilton felder .they both play heavenly their jamerson thing and the whole album is a pure gem .i've listen this record so many times but i 'm never be able to know wich play on wich tracks .i would know any info or advice on that .

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    A few month back I was playing a gig and Chuck was in the audience, needless to say I was a bit tense. He stayed for most of the show then gave me a thumbs-up as he and his group were leaving. That felt pretty cool.

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I just did a http://www.bn.com search for a few bassists to see who has more recording credits:

Rainey = 198 titles
    Jamerson = 44 titles
    Kaye = 69 titles

I'm sure that every recording is not listed, but just look at the numbers.

If Rainey is in fact one of the most recorded bassists, then he is probably the most imitated bassist. If you're playing a hit song that he recorded a bass line for, then you are imitating him. Make sense?

Joe

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    More from http://www.bn.com

McCartney = 164 titles
    Stanley Clarke = 130 titles
    Leland Sklar = 296 titles Winner so far!!!

Joe

10. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    New WINNER: Nathan East = 352 titles

Joe

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like B&N...but really, they are not the right tool for this exercise.

I'm a huge Rainey fan...back in the '80s, I noticed that East began playing on the gigs I would usually associate with Rainey. It seemed like a natural baton-pass to me.

12. Yes, probably not a fair comparison. Certainly, Jamerson, Kaye and Osborne didn't get official credit on many of the recordings they did.

By the way, check out this video to watch Chuck Rainey tell a great, funny story about the recording of Steely Dan's "Peg". Good stuff:

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    chuck rainey is the man. i love his stuff with steely dan.

14. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    This was certainly a good video, and it goes to show you how when you listen to each instrument by itself, it does not sound like much, but put it altogether, and BAM! nice groove, the whole nine yards...I do like the part about how he eased in his slap line, and that was back then! think if that were Wooten:eek: Yup,,,,good video!

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    One thing I will say, Chuck remembers every studio session he's ever done with amazing clarity. Its almost scary. Some of the other folks that claim this title have fuzzy memories, or claim recordings that are credited to other people (namely Chuck). I suppose we will never know for sure, but I'll take Chucks word for it hehe.

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    allmusic credits show Nathan East with over560 credits.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That comment about being copied by working bassists is one of the coolest things I have ever read in TB. I certainly know of guys who seem to have made "careers" of sitting in music stores, playing loudly, letting everyone know they can play "______" style licks. I don't know of any of those guys who actually plays for anyone.

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    From the recording "I Want You" by Marvin Gaye,Chuck played Bass on the tracks I want You and After the Dance.Frank Blair also played on a few tracks from that recording as well as the mentioned Wilton Felder.

and yes Chuck does indeed with passion remember just about every recording session he's played on.

20. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I agree. I was just looking for something concrete at the moment. I was on my lunch break. :D It's the only place I could think of without hurting myself.

What do you think a better resource would be?

Joe