1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chuck Rainey or Hal Leonard? Which method for me?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mrmatt1972, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Hi folks,

I'm recently back to bass after a long hiatus, can't seem to put it down. It's nice to feel like I did in Jr high about playing again... I want to work on studying rather than playing by ear and by tab. I'd like to gain music theory understanding and the ability to sight read along the way. I had the Rainey Method 1 in the 80s, didn't get far, I had no patience then. I've seen good reviews of the Hal Leonard method. I know there are many others. I need help deciding which to choose.

2. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    As someone who was in the same situation as you, I chose the Hal Leonard method and can recommend it to you. I can't do a direct comparison since I don't have the Rainey book, but just looking at the sample pages for it on Amazon I'm confident I made the right decision for me. The HL method is well organized and graded to integrate concepts so that they logically build on one another. At the same time, you will learn to read almost without realizing it. Also there are recorded play along CDs, not to mention the support thread right here on this forum.

Mrmatt1972 likes this.
  3. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    If you want to learn musical content go to Jeff Berlin's website. He offers one on one Skype lessons.

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    IMO playing by ear should be a part of the studying process.

As for books...I only have experience with the Hal Leonard book, and would recommend it.

5. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Between the two options stated, I prefer "The Complete Electric Bass Player" books, volumes 1-5, by Chuck Rainey. After purchasing the said books in the 1980's, I still use them on occasion during sight reading practice.

The "Hal Leonard Bass Method" books, volumes 1-3, are too basic, in my opinion. YMMV.

Another option bass method book that I would recommend is "The Improvisor's Bass Method" by Chuck Sher.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017