Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chuck Rainey

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by JimK, Jul 7, 2001.

1. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mike-
    ...just finished off your interview with the man, Chuck Rainey. Great job!
    I know I spent many an hour attempting Rainey's stuff(his playing with Aretha, like Young, Gifted, & Black, is awesome; the Dan's Royal Scam and Aja...awesome.
    Qunicy Jones, Eye To Eye, the various movie soundtracks, etc. Awesome.).
    I still have the Guitar Player mag from the '70s(Merle Travis on the cover) that featured Rainey; that was the first instance I had heard of someone actually installing a Jazz pickup in the bridge position of a P-bass. Rainey said the producer/engineers liked it(clarity), he didn't like it, though. Rainey is definitely one of my all-time favorite musicians.

BTW-
    I also dug your lesson in the new Bass Frontiers; that's why I don't 'solo'...I'm usually 'soloing' while groovin'(at least attempting to groove).
    Thanks & take care & hope the book's almost finished! ;)

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Jim

Thanks. Seeing him in a small room with a killer band (including Elliott Randall) was a lesson in groove. The pocket was so deep and so wide. I ordered all my students to attend - only 1 did. Man, they would have a years worth of lessons in that one night.

Mike