Chuck Rainey

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dave44, Nov 7, 2002.

1. I've been listening to Chucks playing on the Steely Dan Album Aja and have rediscovered a wonderful bassist. Can anyone help me find more of this guys work. He plays such a beautiful understated funk groove that I need another fix of his sound and style.
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    If you haven't already, you could listen to other Steely Dan albums - "The Royal Scam", "Katy Lied", "Gaucho" (I think), some of "Pretzel Logic" (I think) have Rainey on bass. He doesn't necessarily play on all the tracks though.
  3. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
  4. Thanx very much Muggsy, that's exactly what I was looking for. Great site to add to my faves.
  5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    He's always been a great inspiration to me-
    He has also written a method book on playing the
    bass-Sorry the title escapes me, but it is out there-
    and quite a piece of work too.
  6. Interestingly enough, Rainey also wrote a book on chording on bass. I skimmed through it at a music store once--it had some interesting concepts about shell voicings, IIRC.
  7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    His entire collection of method books is available on
    Think I'll break out the VISA!
  8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    My favorite all time Rainy Recording is Aretha Franclins Gospel album with the James Cleaveland orchestra. KILLIN:D

9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I also love Aretha's Young, Gifted, & Black album w/ Rainey.
    And whatever album has "Rock Steady" on it, too.

The album by Roberta Flack/Donny Hathaway with the hit "Where Is The Love"? has some nice, tasty playing.

All the Dan stuff with Rainey is essential, IMO.
    If you ever see the FIRST album by a band called Eye To Eye, grab it. It's like the Dan w/ Rainey but with a girl singer...

Anyway, Rainey is "my man"; back in the '70s, I wanted to be like Chuck(didn't wanna be a Stan or Jaco). ;)
    Still have my '70s issue of Guitar Player with Rainey(Merle Travis is on the cover). To those too young to know...there were no bass mags then, anything with a bassists' words was gold.
    Rainey also had a workshop in Guitar Player...I learned a lot from those one-page lessons. I think it was one of the columns that hipped me to "the wood sound"(that's what Rainey then-called "thumping with your thumb").

Is that Rainey on Quincy Jones' "The Theme To The Anderson Tapes"?
    That's a smokin' groove!
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You're not thinking of Eye and I, are you? Melvin Gibbs on bass and D. K. Dyson on vocals? Played a bill at CBGB's with them once; they were pretty cool. Never heard what happened to them, except that Gibbs ended up with Henry Rollins.

Or is this a completely different band?
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It's Eye To Eye
    (look 'em up
    I have both their albums on LP...oh yeah, both are produced by Gary Katz(SD's producer).
    I just read the AMG blurb about their debut-
    The reviewer sez "...the pinheads at Warner Brothers have never released this album on cd.(though it may be available in Japan)".

I also have the Eye And I album on disc...I like it.
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I really liked that Eye & I album.......I think Gibbs & Dyson where married then. That was another band like Living Colour that couldn't break the colour barrier of the music biz........stupid f*&cking music biz:(
  13. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    YES! Nobody seems to remember them. And now I can't remember the name of that song of theirs that was a radio hit in the early '80's. I can hear fragments of the song in my head now, but can't put it together. Great, underappreciated stuff there.:cool:
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Nice Girl"?
    ...does that help?

BTW, how 'bout Rosie Vela...yet another Gary Katz project?
    I recall buying her 1st album, Zazu, on account it was a reunion of sorts for Fagen/Becker.
    Check out the players assembled for this debut-
    Fagen, Becker, Derringer, Keltner, Haslip, Stubenhaus, Levin, etc.
    Just checked AMG's blurb-
    "...a cross between Joni Mitchell & Steely Dan".

Back to Rainey-
    BMG is stocking a Willie Bobo album w/ Chuck called A New Dimension....anyone know it?
  15. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Yes. That was a good song. Thank you again Jim. You're the man!:cool:
  16. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Chuck is THE MAN!

He autographed my fretless after I took a couple of lessons from him in like '90 or '91.

Way too cool. He was doing just a few lessons at a couple of stores in the Dallas and Arlington area. I doubt he saw a dozen students.I actually had to audition for the regular bass teacher at the store before I could sign up to get lessons from Chuck. I ended up giving the store guy lessons for a while.

In stead of magical wonderful techniques and tricks like I was hoping to get from Chuck (Hey I was a kid ) I ended up getting more pointers on attitude and professionalism.

That was something I needed more than new technique. Now that I'm an old fart and don't play enough anymore, technique has faded to where anything he taught me would be lost. But philosphy doesn't change with the job. The outlook he taught me works just as well saving lives as it did doing jingles.Always bring your best because that's what you would expect them to bring you if you hired them .
  17. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    yes it's true... very much like guys in the 60's bobbing their heads to Jamerson, I grew up in the early 80's listening to my brothers 'Dan albums.... I had NO idea who the masterful bassist was, but I knew I wanted to be JUST LIKE HIM! I bought the Chuck Rainey Bass Method before I found out that it was HIM on the Dan albums I loved...

I too live in the DFW metroplex and have wanted to take a lesson with him, but never had the nerve... now I hear he no longer does private lessons...

It's funny though... I live on the other side of the metroplex (Plano) but EVERY time I'm in Bedford (the area he lives in if i heard correctly) I get a giddy feeling: "what if Chuck is at the grocery store *RIGHT NOW*???? Is that HIM that just passed me????"

I'm such a stalker.
  18. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Oh I forgot to add the rest of the Dan info...

Chuck wasn't the only bassist with Steely Dan... for the longest time after I found out he cut most of Aja, I thought HE was THE dan bassist... it turns out that the early dan stuff was Walter Brecker... he ain't no slouch either... Neither was Anthony Jackson... who cut much of Gaucho... Nowadays it's Tom Barney... who cut the Alive in America stuff and 2000's 2 against Nature.

so come to find out, although I idolize Chuck for reasons other than Steely Dan, the coolness of the bass in Steely Dan isn't as much the player as it is the songs them selves.

For the guy that asked, check out his video "fusion Bass"... great study of his techiniques.
  19. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    A few great records fearuring Chuck that havn't beebn mentioned yet:

"Mr Blues Plays Lady Soul" Hank Crawford doing Aretha tunes. Mostly Chuck, but some Jerry Jemmott and Ron Carter.

"Chapter Two" by Roberta Flack. Chuck plays some incredible stuff on a tune callled "Reverend Lee".

"Windmills Of My MInd" Grady Tate singing with Chuck and Bernard Purdie in the rhythm section.

Also there is a King Curtis compilation with a tune called "Soulin'" on it. Incredible Chuck on this one.
  20. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I had no idea that was Chuck... I don't know why... it was a song for a movie soundtrack in the late 60's... Chuck was king...

as an aside, that tune was re-done by Sting (one of my other heros) for the remake of the movie "The Thomas Crown Affair"... Great tune.