Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chuck Rainey

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sinker, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Sinker

Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA
    I'll try this again....only because I love you folks and know you'll thank me once you listen.

I love Chuck Rainey's grooves.

One of my favorite all time albums is Les Dudek's 'Say No More.' With Chuck Rainey on bass and Jeff Porcaro on drums, MAN do they cook!

If you haven't heard it, you can find some tracks at

http://shopping.yahoo.com/shop?d=pr...e=tracks#tracks

The tracks are off by one; click on #8 to hear #7, "What's It Gonna Be." Good stuff.

-Sinker-

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Chuck ia amazing. His bass lines on some of the old Etta James stuff is the real deal.

I had the fortunate opportunity to meet and hang with the man when I wrote the Bass Frontiers Magazine cover story on him. He is also a true gentleman and as interested in you as everyone is interested in him. It was a real pleasure for me.

Mike

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    There is a recent Robert Walter album out with Chuck & Harvey Mason on it......very nice grooves;)

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Listen to his solo song called "Godd 'Ol Funky Folk Music". It'll absolutely floor you!

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Chuck is the Man !

6. Sinker

Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA
    Etta James? I'll have to check that out.

Harvey Mason....he's been around quite a while too. Didn't he play with George Benson.

SO....did anybody check out my link to Chuck on the Les Dudek album?

-Sinker-

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I have that record. Although I used to love it, I have to admit I have not listened to it in years and never really thought about it from the bass stand point. I guess I'm digging through the record collection today

Mike

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Probably(Breezin'?)...plus a bazillion others.
    Mason was also an original Headhunter.
    Actually, the disc I'm spinning right now has Mason on it...Eddie Henderson's Sunburst. Very 70's electric Miles/Headhunter-esque. Alphonso Johnson is on bass(Buster Williams/Billy Hart are on 1 track). Bennie Maupin takes some ripping solos...others on the disc include George Duke, Julian Priester, Bobby Hutcherson.
    Henderson sounds very Miles-like.

Regarding Rainey(my man!)-
    I just picked up a Willie Bobo w/ Rainey cd from Columbia House. Pretty cool.

First time I ever heard of Rainey?
    Since it's the holiday season, I was checking out some photos from yesteryear...there's a picture of me('72 or '73) holding & reading the liner notes to Joe Walsh's Barnstorm album...I recall seeing Rainey's name listed as bassist for a couple cuts &
    thought, "Who's he & why isn't Kenny Passarelli playing bass"?
    ;)

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I checked the Dudek album at AMG...
    I also see Pops Popwell & Tony Williams listed.

What I soundbites I did sample reminded me of Sea Level(especially the instrumental tunes/sections)...I guess that makes sense since they were on Capricorn Records & had ex-Allman Brothers in the band(Dudek spent some time with them, too).

Dudek also played with Boz Scaggs...Scaggs had a couple of nice late '70s releases-
    Middle Man is one of thinking of; I believe Jeff Porcaro may have been involved on that(can't recall who played bass, though!).

10. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think it was David Hungate on bass in that era of Boz Scaggs albums.......Hmmmmm Eddie Henderson with Alphonso on bass....../note to self....find that album:D

11. Sinker

Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA
    Kewl stuff.

I think Les Dudek also had some association with Steve Miller, and covered 'Masquerade' on an earlier album. Maybe 'Gypsy Ride.'

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    I was totally unfamiliar with Eddie Henderson until I somehow stumbled onto Sunburst last month.
    Henderson played trumpet in Herbie's Mwandishi/Crossings/Sextant bands(I think).
    Now, thumbing through my latest Columbia House guide...they are even stocking Sunburst.
    FWIW, I bought mine from Tower for about $8; it should be easy to find.
    Some of the tracks have an almost "Cucumber Slumber" type o' R&B/Funk happenin'. Sounds like Johnson is using a P-bass...there is one rather quick Jaco flurry, too.

Next on the list is Henderson's Anthology 2...it's both of his albums from Capricorn Records(weird, huh?). The reviews I've read put these in the Sextant Space-Funk-Jazz camp.

I wouldn't mind pickin' up this Dudek album, either. ;)

(I think you're correct about Hungate, too!).

13. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Jazz, Blues, Pop, Rock, Soul,Latin, & the funkiest phattest of the slappin' R&B that can be...
    Is Mr. Rainey a role-model or what???

I raise my glass in a toast to say:
    YOU SIR, are what a "BASS-PLAYER"
    is....

14. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Jim...I found & ordered the Sunburst album, and I have the Dudek album on vinyl......but I'm lazy so I ordered both C.D.'s should be here next week:D
    Thanks for the heads up on that one;)

15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    There is a video out of the making of Steely Dan's Aja album that has some cool insights & playing from Chuck on it.