1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chuck Traeger RIP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Nov 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Bill Merchant just posted on his Facebook page that Chuck has passed...

2. matt holt

matt holt Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    That sucks. That guy was a genius...:(

Robert Kopec likes this.
  3. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    dang it.

4. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    I know there are things in his book that aren't done anymore (scroll cutting for extensions), and controversial, seemingly subjective assertions, but I still get a lot of enjoyment out of it. R.I.P.

Robert Kopec likes this.
  5. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I own and have read (most of) the book. What an amazing resource.
    R.I.P. Mr. Traeger.
    You certainly DID teach us to "think in a different way about bass repair."

Robert Kopec likes this.
  6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    He set up my Olde Tyrolean when I first got it, and it was a revelation. It served me well for 35 years.

Robert Kopec likes this.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I spoke to him earlier this year when he called asking permission to use something I said in his new book. I was stunned. I never met him, but on the phone he was a bright spirit: enthusiastic, positive, and excited about his work. I wish now I had met him. RIP.

Robert Kopec likes this.
  8. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    He also completely overhauled my old Tyrolean 35 years ago, and it's still my go-to everyday bass. Played it on a gig last night; still sounds and plays great.

Robert Kopec likes this.
  9. Robert Kopec

Robert Kopec

Mar 9, 2002
    Fair Oaks ,N.Y.
    DR String endorsee
    hey everyone...
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Chuck passed peacefully on Weds morning with Bill Merchant and I by his side.
    He was quite an amazing human being.
    This is still very fresh for all of us,so,that's it for now...
    The world is very different today.

robert

10. gerry grable

gerry grable

Nov 9, 2010
    Sorry to hear this. I never knew him, or I should say knew him in person except for speaking on the phone. He and I subbed on some of the same bass gigs in NYC. At that time I never even knew he was a luthier We both were on Bucky Calebrese's list of gigging bass players in the 60s into the 70s. RIP

Robert Kopec likes this.
  11. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Chuck was always great to me whenever we spoke and had the enthusiasm of a man many many decades younger. He was very excited when I reviewed his first book for American Lutherie. 'Bummer that he is no longer here with us, but I'd bet he is having the best evening ever jamming with Django and Miles and Duke and Dizzy and all the rest of his heroes for the welcome party, blister free and never a reason or need to take a break. Rest in peace Chuck and keep the band warmed up for when I get there.

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com

Robert Kopec likes this.
  12. Reggie Hamilton

Reggie Hamilton

Jan 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    FMIC, Fodera, A Designs Audio, Dunlop, T-Rex, Pearlman Mics, Fishman
    Chuck was super cool to me whenever we got to speak. We shared a stage and an amp once and just chatted away our breaks. He was kind enough to share some of the information that he had in that big brain of his.

A gentleman and scholar that will be sorely missed. Rest in peace, Chuck.

Robert Kopec likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021