1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mark II - Impressions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Col200, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Col200

Col200

Feb 18, 2007
    For what it's worth, I thought I'd share some impressions of the Agent00Funk.
    Here's my story. I'm a funk bassist and picked up a Bassballs a few years ago (Still one of my favorite pedals). I needed more Envelope so I dove in and bought a Qtron+. I liked it, for the most part. The thing that got me was the insane volume spike. I'd peak out the PA during every single show. It became a nightmare trying to tame the thing (does anyone else have that problem?) so I ventured out in seek of another filter. Next up was the Boss Auto-Wah. No volume spike, clean sounding, sterile...lifeless.
    I finally picked up the Chunk Agent 00Funk after reading good things about it. To sum it up, I think this is the one I've been looking for all along! The envelope sound of this pedal ranges from deep swells to tight and punchy blips. The main feature of this pedal is the 'squelch' knob. It turns a nice envelope swell into the wettest sound imaginable. I dialed in the wettest sound I've ever heard using the Agent and ...sit down....a Fuzz face! :) A pedal that never quite worked well with bass.

The controls are VERY touchy with this pedal. I found the slightest change in any of the knobs makes a drastic change in the sound. Also, the controls are very active, much like an older 3-band EQ. For instance, if you adjust the "smoothness" of the swell, you will probably lose some depth unless you adjust either the 'sweep' or the 'pitch' as well. Some settings prove to have no effect, whatsoever (Which was scary at first). This would benefit from some kind of markings on the pedal if you plan on adjusting the effect during a show (Which I did with the Qtron all the time).

The only downside to this pedal is the 'down' mode. While it works fine, and you can get some unique sounds from it, it doesn't have the powerful downward swell of the Mutron or Qtron. I will play with the 'down' position a bit more though. Seems like you have to really explore the knobs to get anywhere (Insert joke here).

I'd love to hear what you guys are doing with this pedal. I will post some audio samples of the cool sounds I'm getting. Look for those soon.

btw-check out the "Superbad" Soundtrack. Bootsy uses Agent 00Funk in almost every tune. I also heard he's using the Brown Dog with it.

2. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks. That is the first time I heard about a problem with the down mode. Good stuff to know.

3. Butterbass

Butterbass

Jul 6, 2008
    Damn school loans! I've been trying to get this slurpilicious slip n slide for awhile but the pennies, the pennies! Any case, thanx for the review! I need Beano for the GAS but it's all gravy for the savin'. Don't mean to differ with you, but I read an article in BP that said Bootsy used a Big Muff and Musitronics Mutron III. I'd rather your info be true, but is it credible? He does appear on the chunk systems web site holding the two u mentioned in tandem Tho'. "Put a glide in yo stride and adip in yo hip and step on to the Mothership" Cheerz!

4. yeah last i heard bootsy used the big muff and mutron as well as a bevy of other effects. i personally use a DOD Envelope, and i absolutely love it. I found the bassballs to cut a bunch of low end. The DOD kinda loses a little signal i've found but if i'm using a preamp or my sansamp it tends to not matter so much.

but after reading this review i'm curious about the chunk systems envelope. i use a ds-1 and a dod extreme overdrive in tandem with my sansamp... yes, i get some -wicked- overdrive sounds from it, but using the DOD before those i can get some wicked funky tones too :D

5. seebee

seebee

Dec 17, 2004
    Philadelphia,Pa
    I just picked up the Agent 00Funk Mark II and it's a great pedal. You can get many different vibes with this pedal and its very responsive to touch.
    One thing is that out of the box I connected to my Voodoo Pedal Power 2plus power brick and thought I might have a DOA 00 Funk very little effect. So I threw a 9v in and it was perfect. Seems like the 9v cables that came with the Pedal Power Plus2 didn't give the 00Funk enough juice. So I tried my Godlyke Power All and it powered the pedal perfectly. After checking out Chunk System web site they recommend the Power All I guess because Godlyke distributes Chunk System in the U.S.? No matter it works. I also read on the net of someone having a problem with the Chunk Octave Squeeze until they used a Godlyke Power All. If you get one of these make sure the 9v connectors from a power brick is giving the pedal enough juice try the pedal with a 9v batt first.

6. Bumping a semi-stale thread to ask- is anyone using the 00Funk Mk-II w/a non-Brown Dog fuzz(or OD/distortion)? I just bought the 00 but can't afford a BD- at least for awhile- & wondered if other drive-type boxes sound good in place of a BD- I mean when used w/the 00.

7. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I have a Prunes & Custard and a Lola that I can try with my 00Funk and let you know. I've pretty much only run it with my Brown Dog, and that combo is fantastic with the envelope connection. The BD on it's own is my favorite fuzz on bass, of the ones I've tried. They seem to be out of favor these days, you may score a good deal on a used one (as I did).

To comment on the seebee remark, my experience is kinda the opposite: I find the 00Funk controls have more usable range with a slightly worn battery. My 1-Spot didn't cut it, but a Danelectrode adapter dialed down slightly from the 9V did the trick for me, YMMV.

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Sure. A gritty overdrive will add some harmonic content to help the filter pop a bit and most fuzzes will combine with it to give a nice synthy sound.

If that sort of pairing is what you're after, a gated fuzz would be your best bet. I can also save spuffman a bit of trouble and say that the Prunes & Custard can be set to sound great with the 00Funk, at least IMO.

The biggest advantage to the BD/00Funk combo is the "envelope" connection. While it's a bit of a hassle in that the 00Funk won't work by itself when the cable is in (I unplugged it when not pairing the two pedals) it does have the big advantage of triggering the input of the filter by your playing dynamics alone.

That's a big deal because fuzzes by nature compress your signal and squash dynamics. But paired together in this way you get a really touch sensitive synthy sound.

9. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I had one and sold it in favor of the wmd superfatman