1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chunky Nickle Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MIMJAZZ, Aug 15, 2012.

1. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

Dec 13, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I wana find some nickle roundwound strings that have a good deep speaking voice. No clanks or highpitched buzzes. I want strings that can get a P bass a nice R&B, low end, chunk to them. Any suggestions?

2. For what you describe I'd avoid rounds all together but if you don't want to go all the way to the other side and play flats try some GHS Pressure Wounds. Kind of a hybrid cross between a round and a flat. They'll give you a nice mellow tonality without being as dark or thumpy as most flats and they have a great feel to them.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Dr sunbeams. Very articulate but also a bit dull treble wise. More the sound of well broken in strings that are near needing replacement to me.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  5. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

Dec 13, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I have a bunch of flats, I want some rounds. I want something like a really broken in pair of DR LoRiders.

6. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Really? You guys like the Pressure Wounds? I'd like a similar string as OP but heard that Pressure Wounds sound great on paper but not in practice. I'll have to check them out....

7. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Play through a 1x15" with no tweeter.

8. Well, honestly that's it's own thing. Some folks really dig worn-in rounds. But that's kind of it's own thing......However........

I'd second the Sunbeams. They're a little looser-feeling than Lo Riders. Nickel, less treble. More mids, especially low-mids. IMO/IME.

If you go with Suns, you might have to raise action a little if you like higher-tension strings. To avoid the clank. But the clank subsides with age. Funny, cool strings, Sunbeams. I have them on one of my two P basses. The other one wears Ti Jazz flats.

Have you tried nickel Lo-Riders? If you dig the Lo-Rider feel, they might be your bag.
    But Lows are brighter than Suns, in any metal. Hex core makes it so. More tension with hex core=brighter tone. Usually. Hope this helps. Sorry if it didn't.

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

Just got any rounds and wear them out. Rub them with grease or something. You could also buy people's old strings, because there really isn't a true market for a pre-deadened new nickel strings.

10. Fender makes the 7150 pure nickel strings and they are muted on the top end as compared to nickel plated steel strings.

11. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Get some Roto 66s and play them for a few months

12. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
  13. I play them and they're the best sounding string I've ever played on a Jazz Bass. I prefer flats on a P Bass and I used DR Rounds on my 5 string Modulus and they were great on that bass but for the Jazz if prefer the Pressure Wounds.

14. I just put a set of La Bella nickel plated rounds on, they fit your description of deep voice with no clank.