Church Bass Forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by paul, Mar 8, 2006.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    I've gotten some requests for a church bass forum on TalkBass, that would deal with the issues specific to bassists who gig at church, such as:

* Best Gear Setups for Churches
    * How to handle the issue of getting paid (Volunteer vs. service)
    * Tips for getting started as a Church bassist
    * How to move your praise team from traditional Hymns to popular gospel
    * When the desire for service is there but the bas-playing talent is not.

I'd like to get a sense of where the TB community stands on this. The forum would probably need some watchful moderation to keep religion out of the picture...

Would you like to see such a forum on TalkBass?
  2. Grant22

Grant22 Groovin' the gospel

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    I think it would be great, I would volunteer to moderate.

3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It does seem like there have been a number of "church related" topics. Might not be a bad long as you keep religion out of it. :smug:
  4. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I think this is an excellent idea but we have to make sure to keep the ground rules (i.e. no "Theology Wars") very clear.

That said, Church Bass playing is a very popular topic with some pretty unique challenges. I think TB could really fill this (currently underserved) niche by providing a place to discuss these issues!
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    This would be the perfect forum to just sit back, grab a case of beer and just watch.
  6. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I think it's a fine idea...if things got out of hand, you could simply close the forum.

I definitely would love to hear from other bassists how they tame the "boomy" sanctuary! I have tried a few things, and have found a few excellent solutions....lots of good stuff could come from it!

My vote??? Lez go!!
  7. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I think this is exactly what Talk Bass needs. I'm all for it.:hyper:
  8. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I would love to see this here on Talkbass!
  9. Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    great idea, I was actually just wondering those exact same things.. I also spend enough time reading these boards to moderate that forum if needed.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    There have been a number of very interesting threads here on Talkbass discussing the various issues of being a church bassist.

There are so many talented bassists that have shared their ideas, techniques and tips already. I've been playing bass in my church for 10 years, and I wish I had a forum like this when I first started....I'd probably be much further along in my ministry.

I strongly vote for adding this forum and can volunteer to help in any long as the "theology wars" stay out.
  11. I think it's a good idea, but that it certainly has to be done right the first time around if it's going to happen at all. Obviously, it is a given that the subforum (and TalkBass as a whole) cannot and should not be an arena for theology debate. I do think that a number of TalkBass members could benefit or benefit others by sharing and discussing our experiences as bassists in a church/worship setting.

In addition to the ideas Paul listed, I think it could potentially be a place where we share what we're playing on different worship songs - especially as there is extensive variation in the musical style of different worship services.

Additionally, while I am personally a church bassist, I think it might be worth making a point that this shouldn't necessarily be a Christian-centric subforum. I can't say I've been to musically-contemporary services of non-Christian faiths, but I'm sure they're out there. And if they're out there, I'm sure there's a bassist out there somewhere who might want to share and discuss his or her experience as a bassist in that settting.

In the end, I would hope that we as people would be mature enough to handle ourselves in such a forum, though I'm sure an issue will arise at some point in the potential life of this forum. I think the final issue is that it needs to be clear to everyone that the forum would be about our experiences as bassists (or other instrumentalists/artists), which just happens to be within a church/worship setting, and not a place for religious debate.

I think it's a cool idea - for me, most of the bassists I know are church players and I love just talking about bass and music stuff with them. I hope this potential forum would just be an online version of those sorts of conversations.
  12. Count me in!

I'm ready for this forum.
  13. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I think it's a great idea. I beleive there should be one rule though -

Anyone who starts a religious flame thread should be banned and arguging about different demonitions, ect... would also be a bannable offense.
  14. jaxlaw

Oct 5, 2002
    Winter Garden
    I think it would be a great idea - of course a strong moderator might be required to avoid the non bass topics or flame wars.
  15. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I also support this idea, and volunteer my services as a moderator.
  16. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    What prevents these topics from being discussed in the Misc forum or other forums?

Isn't this more or less the same issue as the ERB only forum, just segregating a particular "type" of bassist further. I am not really fussed either way, but I am not sure that further sub-forums are really helpful as it just creates further division unless there is a real demonstrable need.

Bass questions can be asked in the basses forum, amp questions in the amp forum. Do we really want separate amps threads about the knew Fender RumbleGod 8x10 in both the amps forum and the Churchbass forum? Further, would we entertain similar separate forums for Stadium Players, Coffee House Jazz players etc?

Just food for thought.
  17. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    I think some good info could be passed on here that you can't get other places! I'm in!
  18. Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    Yes, do it!

19. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

I think the basis of the sub-forum would mainly be the aspects of playing in church services, and what goes on there, not so much a segregated discussion group.