Church bassists - most inappropriate tunes heard during church

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MKS, Dec 5, 2003.

1. There's a great thread on Ship of Fools just now here where they're discussing tunes that organists have played during church services either covertly or overtly.

Examples? "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "Mickey Mouse", the theme from Blackadder, the theme from Dr. Who...

I've been known to play the bassline to "The Joker" to "Lord I lift your name on high". And I once closed out a service with a little improv on the theme from "Eastenders" under a suitable chord progression by the keyboard player. :D

Any other confessions?

2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Last Sunday, I was leading worship and took a little time in the middle of the set to perform a version of Larry Norman's Christmas Time (which is a satirical look at how materialistic the celebration of Christ's incarnation has become) to a solo bass accompaniment based on the changes to Autumn Leaves. It worked pretty well - not really subversive at all but it wasn't one of the tunes found in our standard worship books.

I think I did manage to squeeze the riff from Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train into something a while ago as well but I can't remember what that was.

3. I was playing a pre-Easter play that adapted songs from Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell at my church. During the 39 Lashes scene, rather than playing the regular Heaven On Their Minds background theme, the guitarist and I broke into Forty Six and Two by Tool, except twice as fast. Same key, similar pattern, but it sounded way cooler and nobody was the wiser.
  4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The choir I sing in occasionally uses Get Right Church as a recessional. Part of the lyric is "Get right church and let's go home". Although this is a legitimate gospel song, some of our members take it personally. They think we are implying they aren't "right".

Once during a break in rehearsal I just started thumpin' out Brick House for no apparent reason. The pastor told the keyboard player to talk to me about it.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hell is for Children.
  6. Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    After one song when everyone was celebrating I broke out the line from Superfreak by Rick James.

The drummer picked it up, but the singers (fortunately) sang another line to it. What fun!!!
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    My musical director was playing guitar by himself after the offering, and he started playing "Signs".

The only version of "Signs" that I have ever heard was the one by Tesla, and every time he came to "blanking up the scenery", I cringed, thinking he was going to drop the f-bomb in church. He didn't. :D
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I've played that line to that song too... its fun and no one actually notices... everyone is like "Why were you playing shaggy songs?" afterwards.
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It's been a few years, but we used to do a fairly edgy Saturday night service. One of the favorite praise tunes was "Let It Rise."

If you have ever heard it, it starts on guitar with a little 2nd register bass diddy to get everybody else in. I can't tell you how many time I evidently dropped in the lick from Ozzy's "I don't know" instead.
    The guitarist was the only one who ever noticed.
  10. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    At a church wedding.

Never ever trust anyone else with the background easy listening music selection. They played Earth Wind and Fire's "After the Love has Gone". *cringe*
  11. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Well my guitarist rewrote "I could sing of your love forever" to sound like some stupid AFI song... and I was the only one who knew, so I kept quiet for him... My youth pastor would have been REALLY pissed had he found out... I always try to throw a jaco lick in sometimes... good times :p
  12. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Yeah, some basslines you can sneak in (and I've used):

"The chicken" progression in:
    chorus of "Days of Elijah"
    verse of "Mourning into Dancing"

and (I'm embarrassed to say this):

"Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia in:
    "Your Love is Amazing"
  13. My mom and I are playing at a wedding the day after Christmas and we are planning to play joyful joyful from sister act 2 during it its not that inaproprite but it shall be good entertainment value to see what they do
  14. Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    We are always doing crazy stuff...

We played Enter Sandman after the service was over.

A couple of weeks ago we played "My Glorious"... By the time it was over we were jamming to "Foxy Lady" by Jimi H.

Our Keyboard player will at times break out some ELP, Journey, and Van Halen.

Myself and the lead guitarist will play really funky blues riffs all the time. Even Johnny Lee Hookers "Whiskey and Women"... Now that is a great church song... lol
  15. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    We do the doobie brothers song "long train runnin'" to the lyics of let it rise.
  16. At church about a year ago, we did "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "House of The Rising Sun". The Pastor walked in during practice as we started instrumentally and was shocked until we added the vocals. He thought it sounded good (after hearing the approved words, of course) and OK'd the use of it during the Sunday Morning service.
  17. I think the Blind Boys of Alabama did a version like that...

It's also really easy to sneak in U2 basslines to worship tunes. Too easy...

My wife plays oboe in our worship team, and she's often playing the "orchestral excerpts" game.
  18. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Sympathy for the Devil ........ :meh: :eek:
  19. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    One of the "every once in a while" soloists had written a song we were doing that Sunday. He's showing it to us and I suggested a bass intro. It was a direct rip off of Tool's "46 and 2".

Please forgive me,
  20. pshift

May 30, 2003
    Downstate NY
    My organist has thrown in the Pink Panther theme song on more than 1 occassion until the Pastor asked him "What was that?