1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Church engineer.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bracchus, Oct 27, 2013.

1. bracchus

bracchus

Mar 4, 2010
    Hello. My SWR 700 has an xlr line out going directly to our sound board at church. As you would imagine, my sound engineer is a true novice and I don't have enough experience to really guide him.

The question that I have is this.Where is he getting the signal from my amp? Is it from the gain or from the master?

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    RTFM.

:eek:

3. I don't own a SWR 700 - but if I remember correctly there's a switch. With the switch in the "Direct" position, the XLR DI output is Pre-EQ, and with the switch in the "Line" position, its Post-EQ. I don't remember how the gain/master affected the XLR on a SWR 700 - just turn them and fine out.

4. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    DI output is effected by gain or preamp volume but not the master volume.
    Some amps also have a volume on the DI on the back of the amp. It's also usually LINE level. Sooo the FOH mixer needs to have a pad engaged to lower the level if it's plugged into a mic XLR input OR put an XLR to TRS adapter on the XLR input and plug it into a LINE (1/4") input.

5. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    if you want to be sure unplug your cabinet from the head and play your bass adjust gain then master see if it effects the front of the house.

6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I'm on my lunch hour so I have a little time to do some research. ;)

From the manual here:

http://support.swramps.com/manuals/pdfs/wpamp_om.PDF

W. BALANCED (XLR) OUTPUT - A true electronically balanced output, suitable for studio and “front-of-house” (live) mixing consoles. The function of each of the three BALANCED OUTPUT switches are described below. Wiring for the XLR jack at the BALANCED OUTPUT is (American Standard):

Pin Wiring
    1 Ground
    2 Positive
    3 Negative

[SWITCH] DIRECT / LINE - Connects the BALANCED OUTPUT to a point in the signal path either before (DIRECT) or after (LINE) the onboard tone shaping circuits. {OUT=Pre-EQ, IN=Post-EQ}

[SWITCH] GROUND / LIFT - Disconnects the BALANCED OUTPUT ground connection (pin-1) which may reduce hum noise due a ground loop (non-standard XLR wiring somewhere in the signal path). Normally leave this switch out. {OUT=Ground, IN=Lift}

[SWITCH] 0dB / –10dB - Reduces the BALANCED OUTPUT by –10dB. {OUT=NORMAL, IN=–10dB (padded)}

It is my understanding that "Gain" is driving the signal into the preamp stage. So your "Volume" knob (power amp stage) should have no effect on your XLR output, but the "Gain" knob should.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff