Church Music

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by FreeSpirit, Feb 12, 2005.

1. I've noticed quite a few players around here play at their/a church. just curious to what music you and your church plays. With me we play mostly older contemporary music/hymns as opposed to gospel music.
  2. -stylistically speaking. Fred Hammond, David Crowder band, Sixpence None The Richer, funkified hymns, some originals. I couldn't have written a better gig. At the evening service, I've been playing upright, usually just piano, me & 1 vocalist.
  3. I haven't played in church in a couple of years (been moving around a bit). But when I did, we played mostly Hillsong and bit of Vineyard (contemporary stuff). We had a mixed line-up of musicians (depending on the roster), but the full contigency consisted of drums, percussion, keyboards, bass, lead guitarist, accoustic guitarist and 4 singers.

Hopefully, (moving again), I can get back into it again soon.
  4. Maybee i should of added that our choir is anywhere from 2-12 people any given sunday. But usually we have 6 or 8 but their are 12 people "in"the choir. and its a piano/organ and myself and soemtimes a guitarist. its pretty basic musicians wise since we haven;t found a drummer yet.
  5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  6. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Some great CDs:

Shout to the Lord by Hillsongs
    Hungry by Vinyard
    Surrender by Vineyard
    Better is One Day by Passion
    Live Worship From The 268 Generation by Passion
    The Road To One Day by Passion
    One Day Live by Passion

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    <basking in my element>

Our church primarily plays stuff like Kirk Franklin, Joe Pace, Fred Hammond, Tonex, etc. But since our congregation is very diverse, we'll throw in some Jars of Clay, Point of Grace, that one really cute Hispanic girl (what IS her name?)and even some gospel jazz like Kirk Walum to change it up a bit .

As I've argued with some of our elder members, it's not the music that makes a song sacred or's the lyrics, so feel free to praise Him with whatever you've got!
  8. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    We play anything from Steven Curtis Chapman(Let it rain) to Fred Hammond(Lord of the Harvest). Lately we have been doing a lot of Israel Houghton and New Breed. We can go from a Latin tinged vibe to Rock to jazz. My band which consists of an organist, a keyboardist, a drummer, and percussionist are now really finding a groove. We have been playing together for about two years now and that time has brought a tightness to our sound. We are currently looking for a guitarist.
  9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I only started playing with the praise group about 3 months ago. I'm loving it, big change from my usual jazz & heavy funk roots. The group I'm with does almost all originals, very cool stuff. Kind of strange, because none of them read music in the traditional sense. The basic musical styles are typically popular Christian (Avalon, Chapman, etc).

Also cool is that I'm doing all of the transcriptions/notation for the group ... great to get some of those chops back, as well :D
  10. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I play at several different churches and cover a lot of ground in terms of styles. At my home church we do primarily worship music from all over the place and an occasional instrumental preservice thing. Artists we cover include Fred Hammond, Tommy Walker (one of my personal favs), Hillsongs, Ron Kenoly ( who uses Abe Laboriel on bass), Vineyard, Nicole Nordeman, Kirk Franklin, Chris Tomlin, Chris Rice and on and on. Lots of fun stuff for bass players to dig into.
  11. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    We do a lot of contempoary christian rock like Audio A,Mathew West, Casting Crowns, Third Day, Switchfoot, Jars of Clay etc.

We are working on doing some Thousand Foot Krutch and Kutlass in some of our services as well as some MXPX and Relient K stuff (I'm the drummer in those covers)

We have also done some classics like Spirit in the Sky at one of our services. Played true to the original version. If we get bored with a song that we have been doing for a while we will change it up to a reggae style or give it a Jimmy Buffet flavor or rock it up with some distortion patches, whatever it takes to keep it fun & interesting for the worshipers.

It's a lot of fun and our Pastor has a pretty open mind when it comes to music. It helps that we have a fairly young congregation too.
  12. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    My church plays mostly Worship Together type stuff, with a little Hillsongs...but I find myself missing the Fred Hammond, Kirk Franklin type of stuff from the church I grew up in...especially after two of my co-workers checked it out this past weekend and came back floored by the worship service!!!
  13. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Um, my church plays the usual praise and worship stuff.

My youth group on the other hand, in which I play in, we do a couple covers and write songs...and sometimes half write half steal (take the instruments, really change the words, such as last time me and my friend were playin the riffs from a Rage Against the Machine song and my friend kinda just came up with lyrics for it because she well, didnt know the words in the first place). One cover that we did last time was Sanctus Real's 'Everything About You' which is a great song...

And ever since Clint Rogers came, we've been doin what my youth pastor calls 'power praise'. Its like...almost just a big jam session and it kinda allows for another type of freedom, to like dance and stuff - in which on Sunday it was left to me and the drummer havin some fun at it in where I've had no experience with stuff.
  14. We play mostly Hillsong, CCC, and Planetshakers stuff. That's really all we ever play. I would like to see us do some newer, more 'hard core' stuff if you know what I mean. Something a bit heavier. We've been playing the same sort of stuff for the 4 years I've been there. Time for something NEW! :)
  15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    One of the last churches I played for had an awesome repitore. It consisted of Funk, R&B (motown style), Rock, Reggae, Country, Gospel, Contemporary, and smooth jazz type formats.

Probably one of the best band I'd ever been in. Great musicianship and we played all the types of music Ive evere wanted to play.
  16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    There's a killer bass player at my Mom's church, the Hollywood Presbyterian. He's got some kind of MusicMan, but he's got it tweaked to where he's barely touching it, and he gets some really outrageous sounds out of it. He sounds great! Generally I don't like that arm-waving stuff, but this guy makes it almost palatable. :)
  17. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY

Thats what my youth group is moving toreward to, except theres one problem that we face: the lead singer is female, so we cant get too heavy, which really sucks. guess this just means I have to get used to my voice (which I hate when I hear it played back at me... :ninja: )
  18. We usually play the Passion stuff mostly. We have started using alot more of the Aquire The Fire, CFNI, Hillsongs United, and Jeremy Camp stuff recently. Periodically, we'll throw in some of the older Hillsongs stuff, but we try to stay fairly new and don't really delve too much into the older stuff unless we change it up. I would really like to start playing the Israel Houghton stuff though, seriously funky.
  19. chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    Our youth praise band is actually where i started playing. Our guitarist and drummer both started there with me. We're a pretty tight group and we brought in an acoustic guitarist and we're puttin together a christian/jam whatever kinda band. We've been playin the same old stuff for a long time so we get bored and mix it up whenever with some things. I enjoy it cuz christine (guitar) is pretty good for a sophomore and she sings too. When me and her get goin i try to make up harmonies (oh man, not good but occasionally i can throw one out there) or she comes and backs me up. It's pretty cool. But as far as what we play its usually the older contemporary stuff. we're tryin to get away from it cuz we've been playin it so long.