1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Church Rig for 1200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Sep 17, 2008.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    short story:
    i've got $1200 for a new rig for church. a head and a cab. nobody will really hear the cab, it just has to rumble the bassist's riser.
    the head has to be a plug-and-play sort of head that will play nice will all sorts of basses, and have a good sounding DI.
    and it has to look impressive.
    weight is not an issue.
    GO!

long story:
    the church i'm playing at has given a budget of $1200 for a new rig, and the music pastor has entrusted me to pick it out.
    if it were just for me, i'd get an Ashdown MAG head and a Bag End S15L. but not everyone likes that sound. so i need a warm head that will work for the majority of folks. and weight is not an issue. still, i was thinking about a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0.
    i'd like a 15 cab, and i think Bag End is well known enough, but it's a rather mid-forward sound, and i love it, but i know some folks who just don't. i was thinking maybe an Ashdown 1x15 cab.
    thoughts? comments?
    what would you get?

2. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    If oyu're digging the Genz, I would probably go with the Shuttle 6.0/ NEOX-112T pairing. The NEOX cab is (to my ear) pretty evenly and clearly toned and has been described by a few people here as "the best 1x15 cab they've ever heard". The Shuttle DI also has received lots of compliments and seems to be well-respected. I think Genz stuff also scores some looks points as well :)

Other than Genz, the Markbass LMII would be a solid choice paired with most cabs. Carvin gear is also pretty highly regarded and $1200 will take you a long way with their stuff, although the aesthetics *may* leave something to be desired. Plus, if you don't like it you can send it back.

3. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I prefer combos for church. The stages are typically rearranged often for weddings, productions, and other events. Having separates can be a problem because the people moving the equipment usually aren't savvy enough to know what they're doing, and things get lost.

I'd look for a 210 or a 212 combo that is relatively easy to move.

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    yeah, i kind of like the Genz stuff. the Markbass stuff i (and the music pastor) don't like the look of.
    and yes, i guess an emphasis must be placed on looks. in their words:
    "We want a rig that when we have visiting bassists, they'll look at it and say, 'that looks sweet! i guess i'll leave my rig in the car!'"
    sad, but true. so another way of asking is, as well as tone, what rig would you assemble that would impress you visually should you be sitting in at a new church?

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The GK Backline combos are nice because they kick back and are very affordable. I really like this for church because volume is always an issue there, and getting that sound pointed up at the bass player can really help control stage volume.

If you had another $400 to add, your options would be greatly widened.

6. Tommy Lotus

Tommy Lotus

Oct 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Xsonics Bass Cabs, S.I.T Strings, and ESP Power Cords
    First make sure you get the churches tax ID number. Times are hard and you walk in to a music store with $1200 they will make a deal! You can't go wrong with a 4-10 cab. I like GK stuff. Go with the 700 RB-II head,GLX 4-10 cab, You may have enough to add the 1-15. Also check used gear

7. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    I've parked my Eden wt550 & d210xst rig at my church. The other bassists love it. Not sure if it's the sound you're looking for (it's warm and clear, plenty of low end on stage even with 5-strings). For me it's plug and play because I leave the EQ flat and only set gain per bass. It's expandable and works great for us b/c of the portability and footprint. That's my experience.

You can't go wrong with a 4x10 that's for sure. How big a room are you guys playing?

8. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    How about a GK 700rb-II and an Aguilar GS410?

If I saw that at a church I visit, I'd be tempted to leave my LMII and Aguilar S210 + S410 in the car.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're not going to find an amp that will cause every bassist to leave theirs in the car for $1200. Maybe if you double the budget ;)

That's a bummer your pastor's ruling out Markbass because it's yellow. The LMII's a great head. But so's the Shuttle, so it's just a matter of preference there, I guess. The most common amps you find supplied by backline companies are the SVT-CL with an 810 or a GK 800RB with a 410. But the GK fits your budget and the SVT rig is way over your budget and weighs a ton.

Whatever head you get, though, you should probably get a 410 to go with it. They're the go-to workhorse cab that satisfies a majority of players.

10. +1

those GS410's look sweet

11. The scenario you paint is one where LOOKS = QUALITY, not LOOKS=COOL LOOKS. So the fact that your music pastor doesn't like the looks of the Markbass stuff really has zip to do with the mission statement you expressed.

If I'm a session or sit-in guy, I'm not going to worry about "looks" or "visual appeal" as much as I'm going to worry about grade of gear. That said, if I saw Eden or Aguilar or Markbass, or Epifani or Bergantino, or Glockenklang, or Accugroove, or EBS, or Mesa, or even SWR, something along those lines, I would be comfortable leaving my rig (Markbass/Aguilar) in the car. But really most of those names will put you over $1200 for a rig.

Markbass LMII with a DB210 might get you right there under $1200. You could go with an Avatar 410 Neo but you might lose the whole "I'll leave my rig in the car" thing with Avatar just based on name. :)

Really, bang for buck, with a touch of boutique quality is the Markbass LMII at $600 worst case (less when on sale.) The GB Shuttle 6.0 is about $100 more.

Eden, Aguilar and Epifani will run quite a bit more money-wise.

I'm not much of an Ampeg / Fender / Trace / Ashdown guy but those are always options too.

12. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I prefer combo too in church.

Those Trace Elliot, Ashdown and Gallien Krueger combo are nice

13. Not sure if theft is a concern, but if you end up getting a lightweight class D head (GK, MB, etc) - then at 2-3 pounds, it can easily walk out in the blink of an eye in a small bag, or under a shirt, etc. Yeah - it's tough to trust people these days. :(

As for the cab - are you allowed to shop used? I understand you probably still need to go through a shop and not a person, so that will limit your sources. The GK 700RB sounds like a nice starting point. Very decent amp - plenty of power, and respected in the industry as a "standard". (kinda like a Shure SM58 mic - not the best by any means, but certainly acceptable for most) As for the cab - a 4x10 is always nice. They usually sound deeper than a single 15" to my ears. Louder too. Stay away from the budget stuff, and you should be fine from a "looks" point of view.

If you want to make more of a visual statement, get a 6x10 cab, or add a matching 2x10 to the 4x10. :) er.... if you have the budget.

14. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    GK 210 combo? The kickback style cabinet might be a big plus.

15. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Looks important? I second the Aguilar DB cabs.

16. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I am not a church player but this would be my thought on this matter as well.

17. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    hard one this time... a combo would be a good thing. I think a Shuttle6.0/NEOx112 would do the trick quite well... maybe the 210 combo

18. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Some combos I'd consider.

The Nemesis RS212
    GK Backline 210 combo
    Genz Shuttle 210 combo
    Any of the Carvin combos
    Markbass combos

Any of those will sound great, and will be much easier to use in a church setting.

19. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    I'd love to hear one of those.

20. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Mesa Scout combo. Looks sexier than the other combos, and sounds great too :).