Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Church Rig??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 5, 2001.

1. I need some advice. I play for my church and I'm having problems with good sound. We have a fairly old church building and the sanctuary was not designed with acoustics in mind.

I have been playing through an Eden WT-300 head and an Ampeg B series 4x10 cab. The head is nice but the cab stinks. I turn the gain up as high as I can without clipping, and crank up the volumn but still get people telling me they can't hear me through the mix (Piano, guitar, drums, and 8 singers). Yesterday I took my little Ampeg b-50R and played through it and it seemed louder than the 4x10. Some people told me they could hear me much better.

Whats up with that?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey C_F,

Remember that what you're hearing onstage isn't necessarily what they're hearing out in the sanctuary. Our church has some truly odd acoustics, and it was built fairly recently, ('84 I think)...The first two rows are a dead zone where the church's sound system can't affect anything. Beyond that, everything blends decently.

I like a pretty bassy tone, but in church, I have to cut the bass, add some mids and boost the treble...This sounds kindy thin and nasty, (and too loud), to me onstage, but out front, the bass sounds commanding, deep and sits well in the mix. When I adjust the tone so that I like it onstage, it gets very boomy and lost out front. Go figure...

Do you have a sound-person, or can you get someone to sit in while you go out front to listen? I am failry dis-trustful of other folks' ears when it comes to mixing, but I have a great deal of peace of mind after getting a wireless...

HTH,
    -robert

3. Register_To_Disable

4. I agree .. adjust the E.Q. to a more mid-range sound and see how that fits in the mix.

In my Church, the bass sounds different depending on where you sit ... some people barely hear it, and others get a good mix. Bass is omni-directional, meaning it seems to come from everywhere, but the overtones are not and it is the overtones which we want to get out there.

Later.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Just to add my personal experience to the discussion; I have used a Hartke 1x15 140w combo in my church for 6 years. I could barely hear it and got asked to turn down every week. I bought a Trace Elliot V4 (220w) and a Hartke 4x10 and crank it, no one complains. Work that one out.

All I can say is experiment and work at it until everyone is happy.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    No no no no!!
    The Bible says : "Make a Joyful noise unto the lord"

So.. Get an Ampeg Preamp, a 2000WATT Carvin DCM2000 Amp and 2 SWR MEGAGOLIATH CABS!!
    Then you will be heard no matter what!!
    :D

7. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    My Crate has always worked well in my church. the scary thing is that I practice with the master on "3" (this is a 100 watt amp), and I perform with the master on "4"! That 15 really carries. I'm competing against several singers, a guitar player, and a Clavinova and I'm heard no problem at all. And we're playing moderately loud as well (and all this with my bass heavy sound!). So I guess it really does depend upon acoustics.