Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cicadas...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, May 15, 2004.

1. They've been making their appearance, slowly. You see them every now and then, but there's this unmistakable, and quite present chaotic hum in the air. Apparently in a few weeks, we'll be in a bit of trouble. Also, my school will probably hold graduation in-doors because of this.

Has anyone else been noticing this?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You guys in NJ and points south are in for the big one (brood X) this time around I'm afraid. Get a flamethrower.

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fauna/michigan_cicadas/Periodical/Index.html

3. Man, i wish i lived down there just so i could get a flame thrower :D ;)

In all seriousnes, i am sorry for all you people in the agricultural fields. It doesn't look like its going to be a good summer.

4. A bunch of flamethrowers? ;) :D

5. I want a flamethrower!!!?

That's a pretty badass pic, btw.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yep, it's my backyard.

7. Alright, we got them now. They're all over as of yesterday. The roads are lined with their crushed exoskeletans and bodies. They're everywhere, on the trees, on the ground, in peoples mouths when their not careful... This is really odd.

Also, the hum from outside keeps getting louder and louder. It's very present now, I assume from the flapping of their wings.

8. man. that's freaking wierd. i'm so glad i'm on the left coast right now.

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Haven't seen them in Annapolis/Severna Park yet.

I hear 350 for 5 minutes makes tasty, crunchy snacks. Apparently they taste a little like pistachios. I'll be cooking up a few to dip in some sauces. My curiosity is killing me.

10. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I got em all over the freakin place! They got in a pair boots I left out on my front porch. :D I been waiting 17 years to use some as bait. Bass love them.

11. hrrm.
    we have em every year here. Same population every year.

Ours are green though. Not that funny lookin black/red devil bug colors, but green and grey.
    Everyone calls em locusts here too.
    yep, theyre nifty. really cool sound, kinda relaxing.

12. kanti

kanti Guest

Feb 22, 2004
    Eugene, Oregon
    Cicadas don't exist, they are simply lies circulated by the government in attemp to hide their "population monitoring devices". The buzzing sound emanating from the "cicadas" is the sound of high-tech cameras placed among the trees to watch our every move.....

Nah j/k, I hate those little buggers though.

13. They're not that little...

14. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    We named our band Brood X. Don't flame me.