1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cig Smelling Bass and Case

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ampeg SVT, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Hey I recently picked up a used Peavey Millennium Plus off ebay for $300, I heard all the raves about these so I decided to get one mainly because of the long neck (we down tune) and the beefy Active Electronics and pickups.

However I just got this a few hours ago and it reeks, the case smells like old soggy Menthol Cigs (I dont smoke but everyone else in my band does). Also the bass smells very bad mainly the neck since its satin and its very dirty with god knows what.

It sounds and plays really well (I can play faster) but I how should I go and get rid of the god awful smell.

I have read that those little Sharper Image Ionic Breeze air purifiers or cat liter.

But what are some other ways of getting the smell out without doing anything I dont want to do (stripping the paint as I read in a thread)?

And we have cats so how would I go about doing the cat litter trick?

-CkM

2. Fabreeze the crap out of the case!! We have a bottle of it under the counter here and it works wonders (Cig smoke is the least of our worries). For the bass itself, try the Planet Waves Shine spray. It has a nice cinnimon smell. We will usually just soak a guitar for about 15 minutes and then whipe it off.

Great bass, by the way. Peavey is so underrated.

Good luck!

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

Don't bother with Fabreeze. Ozium, friend. Ozium.

4. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    i feel your pain man. i kept pot in my case one time two years ago.still smells like it!!! i need to do something as well

5. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    Plus put the case outside on nice days as often as possible,I dont smoke and was glad when it was not permitted in clubs no more

6. For the inside, baking soda absorbs odors. Sprinkle some all over inside, let it sit overnight and then vacuum it out. I had a case I did that with, and it worked wonders.

7. Ampeg SVT

Alright I think I have the case covered, and for the bass its all over the neck, it seems like the neck absorbed most of the odor.

How should I go around working with the neck since it has a satin finish?

Should I put the bass in the case with the baking soda?

or should I do something else?

8. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    showed this to my wife the Cleaning Queen and she agreed with the baking soda. Might take a longer than a day. After the case is good then put some baking soda in a small open container and put the bass in the case with it. Also clean the bass first to get any residual crap off the finish.

9. limit6

limit6

Dec 5, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Baking soda for the case works well. I actually finally got most of the nasty cig smell off this jazz bass my buddy uses. Still not gone. I febrezed the case thoroughly, let it dry, and put Snuggles dryer sheets in it with the bass. Lots of them. Smells nice now.

10. Ampeg SVT

Alright sounds easy enough, how would I go about cleaning the neck, its incredibly dirty all over the front and back as well as the headstock

11. Choosh

Choosh

Jan 14, 2008
    Chicago
    Now your bass is snuggly soft!

12. Ampeg SVT

Would using dryer sheets just mask the smell or kill most of the odor?

13. uptowndirt

uptowndirt Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Canada
    dude i have used bounce to get some pretty skanky smells out of some cases....the neck just clean it with pledge if you don't mind lemon smell.

14. pendergasta

pendergasta .- .- .-. --- -. / .--. . -. -.. . .-. --. .- ...

Jan 7, 2008
    North Carolina
    There is some automotive grease remover that I used to use that would work really well. It is pretty mild and doesn't smell too strong. The smell that it has, goes away real quickly. You'd have to be REALLY careful about the product you got though, to avoid damaging the finish. Probably not worth the risk...

Alternatively, you could just start smoking, then you wouldn't be able to smell it (or much of anything). :D

15. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Just clean the bass repeatedly. Nothing is going to "fix" it overnite. Get a nice guitar cleaner and use it daily. Also air it out as much as possible. In a few weeks/months it should be fine. ;)

16. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    the true rock and roll smelling case!

17. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I've used the dryer sheets and car air fresheners . . . it will take time. A co-worker had an Ibanez bass made out of luthite, and man . . . does that thing wreak!

One more tip . . . if your have a rosewood fingerboard . . . clean it with lighter fluid (naptha). Get in real close to the frets too! Yea, and remove your strings first! That should help get rid of some of those smells that rise up to your nose while playing!

18. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Naptha (lighter fluid) works great, it's cheap and it doesn't hurt the finish.

I bought a bass on CL about a year ago that was stinky smoky, too. I wiped it down well with a damp (water) rag first and then went after it with some naptha and it cleaned up great.

19. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry lt. Dan, she tasted like Cigarettes.

Fabreeze will do.

20. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    most of the oder will be held in the fingerboard if it is rosewood. Naptha works to clean it pretty well. Get the dryer sheets with fabreze and leave them in the case.
    The "Ionic Breeze" car model will be the bomb. It can run on batteries so you can put it in the case and leave it there. I would clean the bass with well diluted oxyclean to remove the bulk of surface smoke and filth.