1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cigar box guitar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by josiah goldfish, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Hi guys! So, I figured that as I have about 6 weeks off now for year 9 summer holidays, I'd build something a bit different. I decided to build a cigar box guitar. Turns out this won't take the whole 6 weeks of the hols (i've already done almost half in 2 evenings) so i guess I'll have about 5 weeks to learn it! Pics to come (can't post through my phone) but if you want an idea of what I'm talking about check out cigarboxnation.com :D

Oh, and if this is in the wrong place please move it :)

2. dylanjosef

dylanjosef

Feb 1, 2010
    I love making these things. Good luck. Also, are you planning on putting a pickup in it?

3. Not this time, but I might next attempt. I decided that by the time I've learned it I can build another anyway, and I can always mic up if necessary.

Specs:
    Neck thru
    23" 3 string
    Open G (GDG)
    Oak neck
    Romeo y julietta cigar box (still stinks of cigars)
    Cypress fingerboard
    1 1/2" nut and bridge width.
    3/4 " neck + 4mm fingerboard
    Bolt as a nut (haha that made me laugh)
    Hook bolt (like an eye bolt but the eye is kinda open, don't know what it's called) as bridge
    Fretless with lines and lap steel inlays

4. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    A little piezo pickup is super easy to make, and you can make it from a simple piezo buzzer element. Their are tons of tutorials out there on how to do it, and it makes your guitar much more versatile. I highly recommend it!

5. I know how easy it is to make, and now I'm done i regret not putting one in. Next time I'll put one in before I glue shut the box!