1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Cigarettes & Alcohol" - Rod Stewart - need recording

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jaywa, Apr 30, 2009.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    My band has decided to cover the old Rod Stewart / Faces song "Cigarettes & Alcohol"... problem is, our guitarist is the only one who has a copy (on his iPod) and won't (or can't) share it with the rest of us.

Can anyone point me to a free & legal place to find this song? I checked YouTube and could only find a live version done by Oasis which sucks and is in the wrong key besides. Need the original version, please.

Thanks in advance.

2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    SO your guitarist can't share an mp3 with the band........

3. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Tell him that if he doesn't share he'll just have to do it solo

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    He made it sound like there was some legal or copyright issue involved.

I'm old school (still like CDs and don't own an iPod)... so I don't really understand all the techno-legal mumbo-jumbo. It will just be easier if I can find it online someplace myself. Actually I can probably figure it out by ear but still need something for the rest of the band.

5. Awesome song! But it has nothing to do with The Faces. It's a remake of the original Oasis song put out in the mid 90's. Stewart heard it, loved the lyrics, but hated they ripped off T Rex for the music. He rerecorded it on his 1998 album "When We Were the New Boys". Pm me your email address and I'll send you a copy

6. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    Which T Rex's song?

Thanks
    J

7. Bang a Gong, listen to the intro and you'll get what I'm sayin'!

8. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    I will.
    J

9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Oasis' version is totally a rip-off of Bang A Gong. No wonder Rod tweaked it.