Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cigarettes, Cancer.....and death.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve, May 5, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Cancer robbed me of the best friend I ever had 15 years ago and I'm still not over it.

Cancer has a hold on the person that has been my best friend since. His prognosis is poor.

Cancer tried to kill me two years ago and failed.

Cancer is finishing it's work on one of the local bass players around town and he'll be gone soon.

Cancer is finishing it's work on a longtime female friend of mine....

Cancer is chewing on the woman I love right now.

If you smoke, quit.
    If you think it can't happen to you, you're wrong.
    If you're ignoring the people you love in life because you need to go to work, stop it right now. Take a day off and go to the beach.

2. My sincere sympathies for all that, man.

You're right, cigarette (although not the only cause for cancer) is the worst crap ever. I still wonder why pot is still illegal and that thing is still being sold everywhere. And I don't even smoke pot.

Now I don't want to turn this into a political thread.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I know how you feel, somewhat. My fiancee was recently diagnosed with synovial sarcoma, one of the more rare types of cancers. She's only 25. Luckily, scans haven't shown signs of spreading, and can be treated with surgery and a few shots of chemo and radiation. Best wishes to you and those close to you who are suffering.

4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Cancer is like an epidemic now. My dad has non-hodgkins lymphoma, and my mom had a tumor on her thyroid that was removed, and has thankfully stayed gone. And neither of them ever smoked. But I agree, why make your risk worse than it already is by smoking?

5. I quit smoking 7 months ago today. I quit Oct. 5th 2004. Now I just wish that we could stop polluting the air we breathe with everything else out there. One step at a time. :rolleyes:

My best wishes Bikertrash for those in your life that are suffering.

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Thanks for the kind thoughts. The smoking thing was kind of perifferal to the thought that started the post which was:

Take a second to stop and smell the roses. Take a second to tell a loved one they are in fact loved. Take a second to just look around you and see whats around you....do it today.

7. It's so easy to get caught up in the daily grind and take it all for granted. I go backpacking almost every year just to get some persective again.

Thanks for giving me a little boost of that today... I needed it.

8. Let see . . I'm now 16 days smoke free . . . zero, nada, nil, zilch . . no cigs for 16 days . . . never was a heavy smoker less than pack a day . . .but I'm done with it . . . for today at least!

Mark F. Sanderson

9. 16 days. That's the hardest part. The other is sticking to it during a bad craving. The longer you go the less the cravings come back.

10. No sir it t'aint easy! The most annoying part is the coughing and nerves . . . so far I haven't snapped at anyone . . . my girlfriend has been very supportive . . . .

Mark F. Sanderson

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I quit on September 8, 2001, 3 days before the World Trade Center went down. I missed it at first, but now I'm the worst kind of non-smoker: the ex-smoker! :eyebrow:

Anyway, after 16 years of smoking and 4-1/2 years of non-smoking, I still have damage to my lungs that my doctors think may be permanent. And, to reinforce this concept, I just think about my grandfather who was diagnosed with Emphysema a whopping 40 years after he quit smoking!!!

It's bad, and the effects can linger for years, if not the rest of your life. Get out of this nasty, smelly, expensive habit while you can.

And, congrats to all those who've already made the wise decision to either not take up the habit, or eliminate it from their lives. :bassist:

12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> If you think smoking pot is safe, you would be wrong.
    A friend of mine was a dedicated pot smoker for as long as I've known him. Had his first heart attack at age 38, and has now been diagnosed with emphysema. Never smoked a cigarette in his life. Pot...THE BIG LIE.

Slug

13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Smoking pot is, in a number of ways, no better than cigarettes, however, one's illegal and the other isn't. That's his point.

I have smoked on one or two occasions, the actual experience did nothing for me, but the holding of the cigarette had this weird effect on me. It wasn't the smoke, just holding it I had this feeling of dynamism. Like, "Hey! Even when I'm doing nothing, I'm doing something! Look at me smoke this thing." I haven't touched any since then, and being asthmatic, I try to avoid them as much as I can. But I definately think the main reason people start is more the image than anything else. Being in college, it's hard to make/keep friends if you start telling them they shouldn't smoke. I do chide them occasionally, but it's something they have to quit for themselves, not because other people are chiding them.

14. *nods approvingly*

15. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Good post. Quick question - did everyone you listed here get cancer from smoking?

16. Exactly, thanks.

You don't find nearly as many toxic chemicals in pot. I'm not saying that pot is good for your health, but cigarette is far worse.

Once again, exactly. Don't tell me people actually enjoy the taste of that crap! It's a socio-psychological thing, and Against Will did an excellent job of describing a smoker's motives.

17. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Agreed. Smoking (anything) sucks. Period.

Slug

18. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    You have my sincerest sympathy. I recently lost my grandmother to cancer, I was incredibly close to her and it was the first time I have had to deal with bereavement.

Its a horrible disease and the experience has really changed my outlook. We're only here once. The day to day crap we all worry about becomes so insignificant when things like that happen.

I know it isnt much but let me again express my condolences :(

I hope you find some peace.

19. Good man, RAM !!! :)

One of my uncles died from emphysema, which was caused by smoking since he was 15. He died at age 79, and when you die from emphysema, it's like drowning in your bed. Not a pretty sight.

Not trying to scare anyone, just give you a mental picture.

BTW, smoking pot, which has a lot more tar than cigarettes, also has been proved to raise the blood pressure of the person who smokes it to dangerously high levels for about an hour after you smoke it.

I don't have the links now, but I can get them later.

You're not alone, Bikertrash82.

My mom died of ovarian cancer. :(

Mike

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Biker you and you loved ones are in my prayers.If you want to talk just drop me a line.