Cigarettes... what's the appeal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Oct 3, 2005.

1. For the TB smokers: Why do you smoke? I know a decent ammount of people who do, but I personally don't find the appeal. I'll have a cigarette on occasion for social purposes, but it doesn't do anything for me. I don't mind the taste, but I don't particularly like it either. Cigarettes don't seem to have any perks from my limited experience with them. (and they come with very-bad long-term effects...)
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Honestly, I just smoke (cigars, cloves, and some other items) for social reasons. I don't smoke after a long day or to relieve stress. It's just something to do.
  3. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Plus, with a cigar, you don't inhale it. Nothing addictive there...

Cirgarettes are pretty pointless though. To this day not one has touched my lips. I have too much GAS to support an addiction.
  4. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Because we ran out of um, controlled substance one day while in college, and I found that sucking down a cigarette really quickly gave me a mean nicotine buzz. I'd been smoking a pipe, or cigars before that, but cigarettes gave a definite "rush", and now I'm hooked. I also tried stuffing pipe tobacco in a, um, water pipe and lighting that, and eventually worked my way up from a 6" model to a 6' model, no exaggeration, to keep the same rush going. I don't get that same "rush" anymore, and haven't for years.

Now I just smoke, because nicotine is a drug, I'm addicted, and I've quit so much in my life in the last few years that I don't feel like tackling this one yet. Personally, I think cigarettes taste like crap, regardless of brand. If I want flavor, I'll put a Greg Pease blend in my pipe and kick my feet up for half an hour or so. But I get nasty headaches and uncontrollable fidgeting if I try to stop smoking for more than 7 or 8 hours without nicotine gum or something, so I still smoke cigarettes. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go outside and light up right now. There, happy?
  5. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I smoke the odd cigar, only for social purposes a party, everyone is always either smoking or drinking something...I don't feel the need to do it by myself.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, but when that big carcinoma starts to eat away at the inside of your cheek, addiction will be the last of your worries.

I asked myself the "what's the attraction" question the first time I tried a cigarette at 13. It tasted so foul to me that I decided, that day, that tobacco wasn't going to be a part of my life, social pressure or not. Even at that age, long before Surgeon Generals' warnings, I could see the folly and danger of tobacco. And don't kid yourself into believing cigars and dip are any more healthy. They're foul-smelling, disgusting killers. I always think of cigar smokers as people who don't feel they are obnoxious enough on their own, so a good, stinky-ass cigar will help attract the attention they never got as a kid. And hey, any attention is good attention.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
  7. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Cigar smoke gives you a bigger hit of nicotine, which is absorbed through your tongue and cheek.

There are good things about nicotine ... people who smoke seem to be less prone to Alzheimer's disease. I think it's safer to use a patch ... :meh:
  8. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Ya know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna get one of those tracheotomies. So I can smoke 2 cigarettes at the same time. I'm gonna get 9 tracheotomies all the way around my neck I'll be Tracheotomy Man! He can smoke a pack at a time, he's Tracheotomy Man! :D

But seriously, to answer your's the Nicotine. Got me hooked.

Although I can still play hockey pretty damn well if I may say so myself. :D
  9. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    In my life I've smoked two cigarettes, and they weren't great. I do however own a tobacco pipe, and occasionally (like very occasionally) smoke it if I want to feel stately.

I actually have the pipe more because I like the smell of pipe tobacco. I could just light a pipe and smell the smoke all day, but you have to suck on the thing to keep it lit. ;)

I used to do cigars when with friends, but I just can't stand the taste anymore. Pipe tobacco is more mellow, and I usually don't inhale. I like Captain Black Royal personally.

Word of advice though: If you decide to try a Cuban cigar for the experience (and it's worth doing just to say you've had one), let it be known that you may end up sick. I got sick when I tried a Montecristo Cuban in Spain, they're crazy harsh and strong.
  10. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually smokers are less prone to a great many diseases that strike the elderly, mostly because they don't tend to live long enough to become a target.
  11. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Chicks dig smokers.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Smokers think it makes them look "cool" ....:meh:
  13. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Smoking is cool, suave, soffisticated and gives you that debonair elegeance that anyone trying to "make a go of it" as serious artist / musician needs. Anyone wanting a career in a band would be shootingthemselves in the foot by not smoking at least 40 a day.

it'll make you smell great too.
  14. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    and another thing...

....Churchill smoked, Hitler didn't.

I rest my case.
  15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Not really true.

Teenage smokers think it makes them look cool, I'll give you that.

Most older smokers have realised they were mistaken, but by that point they're addicted.
  16. There's the appeal for most. The addiction comes shortly after.

17. Although people don't always get addicted. I tried smoking for a few months, didn't like it, and stopped. Now I'm just a "social smoker" although I was never addicted. I really don't see the appeal.
  18. Just make sure you're smoking Tumors! Boy, I bet you get friggin cancer the minute you light one up!

Started smoking out of pure curiousity at 11 or 12. Nicotine kept me coming back for more. I've tried quitting several times, but I always end up coming back at some point (longest I've gone was 4 1/2 months). Although, for some strange reason, I have no desire to quit this time. I enjoy smoking too much I guess. Maybe it's because of the Dopamine that smoking releases into your system (around 250 mL I think?).
  19. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    The first post in this thread by an actual smoker!!

I started at 17. Still trying to fight them off today. Starting smoking remains the single biggest mistake I've ever made.

By the way, all the non-smokers posting, tap on the brake with the holier than thou talk. Until you've been led around by the 'nads by nicotine addiction you have have no point of reference to compare it to.

Now I'm grumpy............ need a smoke. :spit:

20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Depending on your age group, smoking is "cool." It is cool for teenagers to smoke. Even though they seem to give us a new reason not to smoke everyday, we still do it. Why? Because it IS cool. Kids who smoke are rebellious badasses.

Why do I smoke? I like the buzz.

Although I don't like it enough to buy them. I'm a bum about it.