Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by modulus603, Mar 19, 2006.

1. modulus603

Mar 17, 2006
    so how do you have a ciggy while playin on stage?
    everytime i try i end up burnin somethin:oops: and even if i manage it my face gets screwed up..:D
    any suggestions
  2. thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO
    Just hang it out the corner. I have to close my eye (usually my left), so i become the One Eyed-Monster (of rock).
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wedge it under your E string. Burn your headstock like all those cool guys did in the day.
  4. With the new law in Sweden prohibiting smoking in (indoor) public places I'd have to stand out on the sidewalk.
    Might be OK in the summertime, with a cordless.
    But it's WAY too cool in the winter.

Plus it'd look funny when I have to sing backup...

Makes me happy to have quit smoking.

5. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Find which way the wind is blowing and put it in that corner of the mouth so the smoke blows away from your eyes, you might still have to look like popeye for awhile.

My great uncle gets 3 cigs and 3 matches a day in hospital. At 93 he told the doctor he was quitting and the doc said 'Why stop now?' so he just keeps on going.
  6. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    It is now illegal to smoke on sidewalks here.
  7. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Watch Jimi @ woodstock, he smokes one while playing, his technique works for me :D
  8. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I used to just do the popeye bit. Problem was, I smoked nonfilters, and burned my lip occasionally. Plus, what do you do with the butt in the middle of a tune? I had to have a special cup to spit it in.

I stopped smoking onstage after a bit, just because it was too much hassle. Save it for set breaks. Now, I live in California, and there's no smoking in bars, so it's kind of a moot point, anyway.
  9. Hey, do like "Duck" Dunn and smoke a pipe instead during gigs.
    No smoke in the eyes...

Re. prohibited smoking on sidewalks: I'm now even more happy about having quit, since that law inevitably will find it's way here some day.

10. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I usually hold it in my right hand, between my ring finger and pinky...kinda sucks, as I am left-handed, but play right...if I take a drag, I play with my left hand only. Same with my drinks. Freaks people out to see me take a drink in the middle of a song...just have to make sure I'm not having to sing for a few bars. Sometimes I'll whip out a paperback onstage and "read" with my right hand. It's all in the name of show, doncha know!
  11. Try smokeless tobacco, unless you have to sing. Spit on rude audience members. :D
  12. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I've tried it- can't keep it lit!
  13. Raul Duke to the rescue!
    Just get a cigarette holder, I got 2 myself. They're great for driving.
    They're available at most tobacco shops around here, usually only a few dollars too.
  14. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    When my dad quit it was $0.90 for a pack of smokes and a pack of matches.

Now over here the government is putting full color high res photos of cancerous lungs and gangrenous mouths on packets to discourage you from smoking.

That idea would work for beer bottles, having a picture of you lying next to whatever it is you happen to be lying next to the following morning would help.
  15. "Alcohol: Getting Ugly People Laid Since [year]"
  16. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Group Sex: I'm two people short of an orgy.

Marijuana: Proud sponsors of......we forget.

Remember how good that last beer was before you start gnawing at your bicep.