1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CIJ '57 Precision Bass tuners replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DavidSM, Apr 19, 2010.

1. DavidSM

DavidSM

Jan 11, 2008
    Hello,
    Got a 1997 Crafted In Japan '57 Precision Bass that has the small mij tuners. They don't hold as well as the larger tuners on my other bass do, so I'd like to get these replaced by the larger '57 vintage reverse tuners. Has anybody in the forum done this? I suppose it's a common upgrade, but I believe I'll have to drill larger bushing holes... and maybe some of the fitting screw holes will be on view?.. If anybody has done this upgrade please let me know your experience and if you could post some pics it will be much appreciated.
    Thank you,
    D

2. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    D,
    Don't have a straight-up answer for you.
    However, I would think you could look at the footprint diagrams for each of the tuner styles and tell:

Vintage Pre-CBS:
    http://www.ezramusicshop.com/pd-gbr640l.cfm

Late 60s style:
    http://www.ezramusicshop.com/pd-fb3.cfm

The vast majority of Fender Japan's pre-CBS model bases incorrectly utilize the late 60s style tuners. I've only seen a few models that used the correct Kluson-style tuners. I have always wondered why.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Hi op. I'm not picking on you here, but unless those stock tuners are defective, they are holding a tuning as well as any other tuner -- that is they are not slipping. This is a common misconception with cheaper tuners. If your strings are installed and seated correctly, the bass should stay in tune as well as any other. Cheaper tuners are sometimes stiffer and and have a coarser tuning ration, and sometimes even have a bit of play making them more difficult to get into tune. But once they are in tune they should hold it. If you look at the way most of the tuners are made with the worm gear, there really is no reason for any of them to actually slip.