1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CIJ 62 Jazz RI..WOW just WOW!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bubinga5, Apr 30, 2009.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Not long ago i swapped my TRB6II for a CIJ 62 RI Jazz with Mr Russ..I played it in a funk outfit im dabbling with tonight and it is simply AWESOME!!!!!.. (for the money i really cant say that my USA 75 RI is that much better)...Its has the sweetest tone when i role off the treble, then when you dig in a little out comes this amazing growl.. Pure funk..I was laughing when i heard this thing through the Aguilar..

I will say it does have custom shop pickups in it so russ told me...how much of difference this makes i dont know???

Then comes the bridge pick up honk..full on Meshell on a Celinder!!! This is my go to bass from now on..Sooooo easy to play! The only thing that i would like is a satin finish to the neck, gloss can get a little sticky for me..Would it be wrong to sand the neck down???

Anyone got a CIJ/MIJ 62 RI..What do you think??

Thanks MR Russ!!!!

2. I have a '62 RI CIJ in CAR with US Vintage pups, alder body with rosewood board and I love it. I've played US J's since the 60's and this one sounds the best to me.

If you're comparing apples with apples then this is a fine apple.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've got a 62 RI Jazz in sunburst that I picked up on TB recently and it sounds killer

4. flewis

flewis Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I also have a CIJ 62RI US version, Vintage White, that I got off eBay a couple of years ago from "Guitargai". I do not think I could every part with it. Love the sweet tone and the feel of the neck. I used 0000 steel wool on the neck to rid that tacky feel....much better!

I did replaced the Pickups that came in it with NJ4 Single Coils and replaced the 3 knob control plate with the Stacked Vol/Tone Knobs for a more 62 Jazz look.

The CIJ 62RI's are really sweet basses.