1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CIJ Fender '62 RI Jazz Fretless vs. Squier Vintage Modified FL

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iversen, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Iversen

Iversen

Oct 22, 2006
    Denmark
    I've decided my first bass is gonna be a fretless (been playing guitar for +20 years). I can't afford real classy stuff like the Stingrays.

Oh, just to avoid any confusion about the prices; I'm in Denmark, prices are higher here than US citizens are used to.

Yesterday I tried the Squier fretless with Ebonol fretboard and all and it felt pretty good. It comes with round wounds and I have to say it felt a LOT better than the fretless MIM Fender Jazz I compared it to. The MIM had flatwounds and rosewood fretboard. If I buy it online it'll cost me $345. The neck was very nice, but the body is made from 5 pieces of some sort of wood that both looks and feels kinda - surprise - cheap.

I'm also considering getting the CIJ '62 Vintage FL from Ishibashi, as it'll cost me something close to $950 which in Denmark is still cheaper than a stock MIM. Also, this one comes in Vintage White with an unmounted shell pickguard, which looks absolutely bitching IMO. I'm quite certain the CIJ is superior in quality, but enough so to justify the extra expense?

I know some of you guys are playing the CIJ Vintage FL, please break it down for me.

2. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    BUMP, I'm interested too :)

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    CIJ - no contest. The Fender Japan instruments are FAR superior in quality and consistancy than Squier.

4. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    BIG +1

If you can find a late 80's early 90's MIJ fretless, the necks are really slim and IMO comfortable.

5. papajune

papajune

Jan 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, Ashdown Amplifiers
    I just got the SVM fretless jazz a few days ago and let me tell you it is more than woth the price. i didnt see any p basses there, but i did try out the fretted jazz and wasnt nearly as impressed as i was with the fretless. They really steeped it up though on these bass, this squire sounds better than any other fender (reguardless of country) fretlss ive ever seen, played or heard...bottom line. I play vintage fenders and my main bass is a custom shop reggie hamilton, and this little $250 squire will be at every gig from now on out....though with a few changes. Just so my penis doesnt shrivel up i put a fender decal on the headstock, p bass tuners, a jaco neckplate, inset straplocks, and maybe new pickups though the duncans in it are just fine so thats doubtfull. Now i have a jaco signature minus the inlays and about $1000 worth of fender beatin the hell out of it. if your thinking of one of these i can reccomend it, i play 5-7 shows a week in atlanta and im not asshamed to sAY they did a great job on these. Though be carefull, i get the feeling that it depends on the bass itself, some could be stinkers.

6. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    I sold a CIJ yesterday, only because I missed the 5th string whenever I played it. Great bass. The thing is built like a tank, plays like a dream and has beautiful tone. It's well worth the $950 it'd cost you to get one.

Forget the Squier, seriously.