1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cij mustang basses vs. vintage ones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panoramic, May 5, 2010.

1. panoramic

panoramic

Apr 27, 2009
    I wonder if any of you have both and can offer a good review of the differences in sound between these two? I am looking into getting a mustang bass, so far not successful but I would of course prefer a vintage one, however, in the current everything is worth 2k market I am not too sure that will happen. So i was wondering about the cij reissues

2. panoramic

panoramic

Apr 27, 2009
    top?!

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I've played a few (but not owned) both, and I'd have no problem going with an MIJ model - regardless of pricing (though $2k for a Mustang bass is crazy, imo).

4. panoramic

panoramic

Apr 27, 2009
    i have only played the cij version of them but have always liked the way the vintage ones look, i have a 66 duo sonic II and a 74 mustang that need a relative

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I prefer the sound and feel of the CIJ Mustang basses I've owned over the MIAs I've had.

IMO the CIJs have more cajones.

6. ttasselm

ttasselm Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1. CIJ's are extremely well-built, too. With instruments like a Mustang, the vintage advantage is basically cosmetic. A CIJ Mustang is a better bass guitar, in my experience.

7. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I disagree that the Japanese models are anywhere near as good sounding as the American ones. I have tried several current reissues, and they simply don't sound as good as either of the vintage American Mustnags I've played.

Plus one of these likely will continue to appreciate in the coming years, and the other will depreciate. Guess which is which . . .

8. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Having owned several copies of both I find the CIJ Mustang basses have a much more full and robust tone (more "cajones" if you will) than the vintage Mustang Bass. The vintage sounds really wimpy by comparison. Plus the neck on the MIJ feels much better than the MIA.

9. tifftunes

tifftunes Guest

The CIJ Stangs are more consistent than the vintage Stangs - such is true of most new basses though. I had as many as 21 vintage (pre '75) Mustangs at one time, and only one new CIJ... Every one of them sounded and felt different due to the wood, and handmade nature (the pups were also hand wound and could vary quite a bit even when new). The '72 Stang I used the most was the sweetest, and had the best tone and output... But I was offered way too much for all of them to refuse!! =D I still have the CIJ Stang. It's good enough for me. It'd be cheaper to buy the new CIJ Mustang, and have it refinished to your liking, than to buy a vintage version. YMMV

10. jgparm

jgparm

Sep 27, 2007
    Southern Missouri
    I've owned one of each and I much preferred the tone and playability of the CIJ. I loved the look of my '76, but was never quite able to dial in the tone I wanted in live situations. Mine just seemed lack the thump/heft of its CIJ counterpart.

11. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    My missus has a CIJ and it's genuinely a fine, fine instrument with a surprising amount of balls in the tone. Try one, you won't be disappointed at all.

12. panoramic

panoramic

Apr 27, 2009
    interesting, thanks for all the help on this so far. I always tend to side with the vintage version of the reissues, however, I have had several jazzmasters and my all time favorite was a cij, my #1 guitar now is an MIJ jag so I don't discriminate guitars based on where they were built.
    I actually like the vintage white finish on the cijs, but man a real vintage oly white is 10000X prettier.

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Oyyy....

jpicsfnDvwTZ5Dvv7zY4.

14. panoramic

panoramic

Apr 27, 2009
    i guess they speak klingon in "funkytown"

I am talking about an aged oly white looking better than a new one, it's an opinion

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Maybe you don't understand Klingon. I'll try again...

Oyyy....

Jesus+Facepalm.