1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CIJ vs MIA Jazz - Wich would you choose at an equal price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Nov 30, 2006.

1. CIJ Jazz

64 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. MIA Jazz

68 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I am considering both an CIJ Jazz and and an MIA Deluxe Jazz. Both are new. CIJ is passive, MIA is active. Which would you choose? Both are roughly the same price.

2. Bad premise.

MIA's usually bring more than CIJ's and they aren't appreciably different in quality. An MIA at a CIJ price would always be preferrable to a CIJ at an MIA price.

3. I prefer pass to active electronics in Jazz bases, therefore CIJ

4. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

MIA all way.

5. jobo4

jobo4

Apr 19, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I voted MIA only because of resale value. There are good things regarding the playability of both.

6. +1

or get a MIA passive bass.

7. I like that fact that we have American made Fenders. I also prefer having active electronics on a bass. But I just have not been hog wild over American made Fenders. There was one American Jazz Bass Deluxe four string that I liked - but the rest - just no appeal to me. The necks on the CIJ are pretty awesome plus the basses are light weight - that's why I have 5 of them.

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I just played a CIJ P-Bass reissue and it was far and away better constructed than anything MIA I have seen in quite a while. It just looked better, played better and sounded better too.

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    MIJ.

Same thing with cars and basses for me - I'd take a Japanese one anyday.

10. groovetoolz

groovetoolz

Aug 5, 2006
    i always love CIJ instruments...

11. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    CIJ is winning, haha, sucked in america (oops, didnt mean to say that out loud) i have no grounds for comparison as i have never really played an MIA, but my CIJ jazz is freaking incredible. im very happy with it.

P.S. i didnt vote becoz i dont have grounds for comparison.

12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Usually the MIA active Jazz would cost more than the CIJ passive. So I would take the MIA just because of financial value.

Note: I happen to find the build quality of my CIJ Jaguar to be greater or equal to my MIA Deluxe Precision.

13. Blindfold yourself. Have a friend hand you a bass. Play one, then the other. Then choose. I would choose the one w/the prettier headstock decal...

14. personally I HATE the MIA deluxe jazz, I opted for a 91 japanese jazz instead.
    The body weight feels right, the neck feels right, its got that "zing".
    I test drove a couple deluxe jazz basses, they're too light, too small, and they just don't hit the right spots.

15. ninnlangel

ninnlangel Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland
    What is a CIJ jazz ?

Nevermind. I thought it had to do with japan, but I would have expected it to be MIJ in that case...

Crafted. Made. strange.

16. pty-rock

pty-rock

Jul 31, 2006
    Panama
    You should choose whichever one you like best! Play both if you can, and if you fall in love with one, that's the one you should buy....

17. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Absolutely correct. pty-rock is dead on. Though,what's with all the American made bass hate? I like the CIJ as well old and new, copies and current but they don't have some secret magic that can't be achieved in the states. I had a Marcus Miller that was beutiful but the neck pocket was not the tightest, Looked at the Musicmaster CIJ this past weekend and the neck pocket had about a credit cards worth of space between body and neck. Played a MIA jazz that felt OK and a MIM jazz standard that felt best of all. Go figure. Pick the one that sounds and feels right and not just where it is made.

18. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    4 of my 5 basses are C/MIJ and if I ever succumb to GAS again it'll be for another Japanese bass. They are consistantly outstanding and have been for well over 20 years now, in my experience. I've nothing against USA made instruments, it's just the basses I've had that became keepers all seemed to be Japanese, based on feel, tone, build quality and reliability.

19. play both and buy the one you like the best

20. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I've played Fender Jazz basses for 25 years, all flavors, and have to go with the " touchy-feely " argument. I had a MIM, fretless deluxe model that sounded better than any active Jazz I ever played. I have a MIA passive that sounds wonderful and is my main axe. Played a CIJ passive model that sounded great but felt too light when I strapped it on. it's all pretty subjective, imho.