1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cimar p/j bass, how old?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TeBeStudio, Dec 28, 2017.

1. TeBeStudio

TeBeStudio

Dec 28, 2017
    Hi. Is there anyone in here that can take a "wild" guess on this bass? Bought this one recently. The previous owner is not with us anymore. The only thing i know is that someone remember him using this bass in 1983-84. There is no stamps on the pots or anywhere else. Only "made in japan" on the neck plate. I think its 100% original. Its solid wood. Its not one piece. There is at least 2 pieces of wood I believe. The shape of this thing is stunning. Even the gigbag it came with is screaming vintage! Nice if someone could fill in some info:)

Attached Files:

Templar likes this.
  2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Very early 80s. Cimar was Ibanez's "value brand".

Decent wood, questionable electronics. Definitely usable altogether.

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    My very first bass, a natural finish Jazz bass clone in the early 80s was a "Cimar by Ibanez". There are some Cimar basses that do not have "by Ibanez" -the ones I have seen are older, mid 1970s or so though, don't know if this is true for all of them. Cimar was also owned by the parent company of Ibanez, Hoshino Gakki.
    In terms of quality, my bass was well constructed, the body and neck seemed fine, but the sound wasn't all the best, pickups were noticeably inferior in tonal quality and volume compared to a real Fender Jazz bass. It was a budget bass after all, it was the most inexpensive bass in the store at the time and perhaps a decent enough bass for me as a young kid to start of with at that time. I ended up upgrading the bridge as I had problems with getting the action just right, and was considering getting the pickups changed but got a new bass instead, an Ibanez Musician.

4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I would say 1980 give or take a year.
    I like this era of Ibanez basses. These Cimars are similar and cool, but can use better electronics, as mentioned before.

5. TeBeStudio

TeBeStudio

Dec 28, 2017
    Thanx for info. The build quality is nice, no doubt. I can easily see some improvements though. It seems like the bridge is giving in on the pressure over time, leaving a small gap between body and metal(The whole bridge have a bend). And upgrading all electronics obviously. But I think i will try to straighten up the bridge instead of replacing it. Just need someone with skills on heavy metal:) Love the idea of keeping it visually original.

Maxdusty likes this.
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Before you invest more time with it, I would check the truss rod on it and make sure there's still room to adjust it, that was another thing to go with the one I had. I gave the bass to a friend of mine back then and he still has it to this day! The neck though I think he ended up replacing early on so might want to check that first.

7. TeBeStudio

TeBeStudio

Dec 28, 2017
    I have adjusted the neck and everything seems fine. But thanks for the heads up. I think this spesific bass have been stored in its bag for 20+ years. I know the previous owner went on to become a decent cello-player. Guess he didn't have time to follow more than one dream:) It had recently been adjusted by a local store according to the lady who sold it. If so thats a bad piece of work! Huge bow on the neck when I picked it up. Makes me wonder...can the trussrod "loose grip" somehow? I have never experienced such a thing in my relatively long life. But maybe someone else have? Anyways..it is straight as an arrow on day 2 now. Getting ready for the big pickup swap thing. Must say the quarter pounder spb-3 duncan pups sound interesting. So "open". I intend on flatwounds on it. So I think they will be a good match. I play in folk-rock style mostly right now. Can't see myself go any heavier than rock. So I guess any vintage style pups will do also. Yeezzz...need to use less words! Thanks for all replies! Really appreciate it!!