1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cincinnati in Das Haus?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JLubinsky-Mast, May 10, 2015.

1. JLubinsky-Mast

JLubinsky-Mast Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    I've had the fine fortune of playing a fantastic bass for close to ten years now. I've been meaning to put out feelers and see if anyone has ever seen one of these before.
    I purchased it in Ottawa as an "Unkown German bass" from 1884, and was told that there were reasons to believe that it could be something else and left it at that.
    After three hard Canadian prairie winters this bass needed some heavy work done to it. When my partner and I moved to the West Coast, I took it Gerard Samija, a tremendous luthier here in Vancouver, who brought this bass back to life.
    When I brought the bass back to Gerard for an appraisal, he stunned me with the amount of information he was able to find from the worn out label inside.

Albert Krell Maker Cincinnati Ohio 1884. "It has been overwritten with '1900' and in smaller print possibly '1898' ".
    The question is whether Albert Krell made the bass himself, or imported this bass from Europe. If the pencil markings are correct, this could have been one of the last instruments he made before his death in 1900, as stated here:
    Information on Albert Krell, violin maker in Kelbra, Germany

The only other information I've found about Albert Krell is about his piano company here:
    Krell | The Antique Piano Shop

The idea that this bass could possibly be part of a growing tradition of great American bass makers is exciting to me.
    Anyways, not to be long winded, but I've wanted to share photos of "my bass" for a while now, and am very interested if anyone has come across or played basses made by Albert Krell before. Thanks for looking.
    Bass Front 1. Bass Front 2. Bass Side. Bass Front. Bass Back. Bass Back 1. Bass Scroll 1. Bass Scroll.

Attached Files:

2. JLubinsky-Mast

JLubinsky-Mast Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    Also, if you're in Western Canada or the Pacific Northwest and need some work done on your instrument, I can't speak highly enough of Gerard Samija's work.

bassmanbrent likes this.
  3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Looks like a typical turn-of-the-20th Century German bass.

JLubinsky-Mast likes this.